2K5 Z71 6" Lift..

Ive been looking around at websites for 6" lifts. but i really cant decide because i dont know if i have the autotrac or not. its a 2k5 silverado crew cab. i was considering the pro comp 6" lift. also, if i go over 8 will i have to install a new driveshaft? or will the stock one work fine? ive been told if i do a 6 in. susp. and 3 in. body the driveshaft will be fine. any info on this, or maybe a different suggestion on which lift to get. im sort of on a budget so a lift under 3-3.5 grand installed and then the wheels and tires for another 3-3.5. all info is appreciated. thanks !

Do you have the push button on the dash for 4 wheel drive? If so, it's an auto-trac.

When I looked into lifts most auto-trac lifts recommend a new front drive shaft. Adding a body lift will not make any difference to the drive shafts. Also if the lift uses different spindles/knuckles that help generate some of the lift (rather than dropping the front differential the full 6") a new drive shaft may not be required.

6" lift by lowering front differential and control arms 6" would probably require a new drive shaft.

6" lift by lowering the front differential and control arms 4" with additional 2" at the knuckles, might not require a new driveshaft.

I don't know this stuff for sure but I know different lift companies use both methods for gaining lift, and some do and don't suggest the drive shaft. From that I gather the reasons above.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

i was looking at the rough country lifts. say theyre direct bolt on...dont know whether or not it needs a new drive shaft though...i wonder how difficult itd be to install the direct bolt on one myself. anyone done it before?

oh yeah i do have the shift on the fly buttons.

• 3 months later...
Ive been looking around at websites for 6" lifts. but i really cant decide because i dont know if i have the autotrac or not. its a 2k5 silverado crew cab. i was considering the pro comp 6" lift. also, if i go over 8 will i have to install a new driveshaft? or will the stock one work fine? ive been told if i do a 6 in. susp. and 3 in. body the driveshaft will be fine. any info on this, or maybe a different suggestion on which lift to get. im sort of on a budget so a lift under 3-3.5 grand installed and then the wheels and tires for another 3-3.5. all info is appreciated. thanks !

Pro Comp is a good Choice. I got mine from 4wheelpartswholesalers for 1169.00 delivered (260lbs on a semi). The cheapest around here for the install was $1400.00.

But I did it myself (19hrs in one weekend) and pocketed the money I was going to use :)

Best price on my Parnelli Jones and Wheels was www.desertrat.com believe it or not. only 309.00 for each tire. the 4wheelparts***** wanted $415 a piece for them....

good luck, take some pics once you done.

jc

NO kit is a direct bolt in. They say it is but ALL kits require some type of cut and weld. The new RC looks good. I have the PC. Heard good things about the Superlift FIT. Rancho makes a good lift. RCD and CST make great lifts. Rockcrawler has a coil over conversion.

Archived