Resale Value?

I'm looking for your opinions on what would be a good asking price for my truck, 1999 Silverado Ext Cab Z-71, 5.3 (obviously) 103,000 miles LS Package, cloth seats, body is in fair condition, some scratches, a dented front bumper, a fist size indentation on the 3rd door. Rest of the body is straight. Mechanical issues: Bad Fuel Sender (fuel guage) and the Slip Yoke Clunking. Inside is in ok condition, no tears or big stains. AM/FM/CD/Cassette (factory with burned out bulbs) Line-X bedliner. What is your opinion on what you feel the selling price should be?

Thanks,

Ryan

Depends where you live. If you live in Vancouver, you probably couldn't pay someone to take it because of $1.18 per litre gas, whereas in Calgary you could probably get $5000. Lots of trucks on the lots these days because of expensive gas.

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Ext Cab 4WD

State: Miles: Click to Change Mileage

Add/Deducts:

Leather +$300

Sportside +$200

4800 V8 -$200

w/o AT - Exc Diesel -$925

w/o Factory Air -$375

w/o Z71-K1500 -$125

Refresh with New Criteria

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Ext Cab 4WD

VIN: 1GCEK19VX

UVC: 1999160650

VIN + UVC: 1GCEK19VX650

MSRP: $22,850

Loan Value: $11,140

Model#: CK15903

Price Incl: AT AC 8CY

Mileage Cat: C

Weight: 6,200

Wheelbase: 143.5

Taxable HP: 44.8

Tire Size: 245/75R16

Black Book Retail as of 04/10/2006

Extra Clean.......Clean....... Average....... Rough

Base N/A.............$16,675........$14,100........$12,550

Options N/A...............$..................$0.................$0

Mileage N/A............($1,500)........($1,075)........($550)

Total N/A..............$15,175..........$13,025........$12,000

Black Book Trade-In as of 04/10/2006

Clean..............Average...............Rough

Base $14,070........$11,870..............$9,755

Options $0..................$0.......................$0

Mileage ($1,500).......($1,075).............($550)

Total $12,570...........$10,795............$9,205

I do not know where you get the above figures, but Kelly blue book private party value for this truck is $9300 for good condition, and $ 8300 for fair condition. Based on the truck description, I would say it is closer to the "fair" condition category.

To my experience, black book prices are typically at least $ 1000-$1500 lower than Kelly blue book. If you wanted to trade in this truck, I would not be surprised if they offered you $ 6k for it.

I do not know where you get the above figures, but Kelly blue book private party value for this truck is $9300 for good condition, and $ 8300 for fair condition.  Based on the truck description, I would say it is closer to the "fair" condition category.

To my experience, black book prices are typically at least $ 1000-$1500 lower than Kelly blue book.  If you wanted to trade in this truck, I would not be surprised if they offered you $ 6k for it.

The black book figures came from my Credit union (I have on line access to it). They were for the national and not regional used car trade-ins. I find the black book to be very accurate in my area as this is the most common valuation book used for Car dealers, wholesealers and banking institutions in my area.

The trick becomes judgement of where to mark the vehicle Clean, Average, Rough.

From RyanZ71 statement, I would put it at rough.

Loan Value is $ 11,140.00 at worst he should be able to retail it for that (with no major mechanical repairs needed)

The problem for a dealer is the Miles, With over 100.000 they are not going to be able to sell any extended warranty. More than likely a new car dealer's Used car Manager would end up selling it to the local wholeseller who then would try to pedal it to a "buy here, Pay here" lot and if that did not go well take it to a regional Auction. This is part of the chain of events with all dealer partys involved reporting back to the Black book on how their used prices are established.

Paid 10,000 american in December for the same truck only in perfect condition. Bought from a dealer who knew I was desperate. Limped in in a Ford with blown engine (smoking powerfully from all orifices) towing a 4000 lb boat. He knew I needed a Chevy.

Ken

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get her paid off as quickly as possible and make a few minor repairs to her and hopefully ask for $8000-$10,000 I see 97 and 98 Z71s selling on the delaer lots for 10,000-12,000.

Spring is in the air and used vehicle prices are as high as they will get. I ordered the new fuel sending unit and pump from E-bay. $125 if I remember correctly, a lot less than the dealer wanted and it is an AC Delco part. It works fine.

All the little things can add up when trying to sell a truck. Clean the interior extensively, look for a boneyard bumper if you can find one, fix the fuel sending unit issue and really clean it up well. All these things, as cheap as they are to fix will probly pay off in the end. Spring fever, before extremely high summer gas prices will probly net you the best sale.

Look and see what dealers are asking for units similar to yours. You will have to ask less and maybe even take a little less as you are not able to offer some sort of warranty (most places offer 3 months or 3000 miles on just about anything these days), can not offer financing and can not take a trade in. Without these things, especially the latter, you eliminate a lot of potential buyers.

Best of luck, selling a rig is challenging at times and finding the right buyer at the right time can be difficult.

Archived