Does the PCM store the Mileage

Does the PCM or any other Module for that matter store the total mileage (Odometer) total. I recently swapped gauge clusters and need to get the new one programmed with the correct mileage. The new cluster is working just fine, just the mileage is wrong. I recorded the mileage from the old and new and know how many miles the truck has, but I was recently told by the GM dealer that they could not trust me and the PCM does not store the mileage, a speedometer discrepency statement would have to be filled out and this would make the truck worthless. I find it difficult to believe that the PCM does not store this information, I know that the speedometer gets its signal from the PCM. By the way I changed the cluster because my speedo quit working, not for cosmetic reasons, I did however go with one that has the transmission temp gauge.

You would think it would be stored somewhere because if you had a lease truck and went over your miles allowed alll you would have to do is buy a new cluster?

What is this "black box" i hear people talk about that the dealer can check to see if the odometer has been tampered with?

You would think it would be stored somewhere because if you had a lease truck and went over your miles allowed alll you would have to do is buy a new cluster?

What is this "black box" i hear people talk about that the dealer can check to see if the odometer has been tampered with?

The black box your tallking about is the SDM and it only captures a few miliseconds of data speed,brakes on, belt on & throttle position.

Does the PCM or any other Module for that matter store the total mileage (Odometer) total. I recently swapped gauge clusters and need to get the new one programmed with the correct mileage. The new cluster is working just fine, just the mileage is wrong. I recorded the mileage from the old and new and know how many miles the truck has, but I was recently told by the GM dealer that they could not trust me and the PCM does not store the mileage, a speedometer discrepency statement would have to be filled out and this would make the truck worthless. I find it difficult to believe that the PCM does not store this information, I know that the speedometer gets its signal from the PCM. By the way I changed the cluster because my speedo quit working, not for cosmetic reasons, I did however go with one that has the transmission temp gauge.

You will have to give them the original cluster and they can go by that mileage if they want to.

Archived