Torsion Bar Question

I am new to the trcuk scene, so please pardon my ignorance.

I just want to confirm I am reading everything correctly. Does the 06 2wd Sierra have torsion bars? From what I have been reading, it seems like it doesn't.

I would like to level my truck, but I do not want to lower the rear. From alot of the pictures I have seen, it appears to me that the fender well is smaller in the rear thant the front; therefore, it LOOKS like the rear is actually lower..even though it may be level. Is this true?

I would like to raise the front using this:

http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/customer/pr...&cat=816&page=1

Could someone please post a picture of leveled 2wd trucks, both lowered rear and lifted fronts?

Thank You

i can't answere your question but there is information on here that my help.but mainly i just wanted to say some torsion bar keys sell for about 15.00 dollars a piece so do your homework. a search on "torsion bars" might be a good start good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

i assume that you discovered no torsion bars? i've never come across torsion bars on 2wd model pickups. not to say that they don't exist, but i am yet to come across a 4x4 without them.

well, instead of researching, I immediately came here for the answer.

1) I should have just looked at my truck, or

2) Gone to GMC.com.  http://www.gmc.com/sierra/specsEngine.jsp?vehicle=1500

thanks.  I'm still learning, please bare with me.

I'm glad you provided that link that shows that the 1/2 ton 2wd pickup trucks do indeed have coil springs up front,because a few guys on here were debating weather or not they did.

Now the 1500HD,2500,2500HD and 3500 2wd pickups do have torsion bar front suspension,Along with the 1/2 ton 2wd SUV's (Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon)

Only the 1/2 ton 2wd pickups have coil springs up front.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here are some pics of my 2006 2WD Extended Cab Short Box WITH Torsion Bars

HPIM0545.jpg

HPIM0544.jpg

Going back to the original question. Your 2006 2 wheel drive crew cab has coil springs.

The 2006 extended cab 2 wheel drive WITH THE SHORT BED has torsion bars. Who knows why.

NO GMC/Silverado 2 wheel drive between 1999 and 2005 has torsion bars.

The 2007 will have coil overs.

Have a great day,

Don :gmc:

• 3 weeks later...
Here are some pics of my 2006 2WD Extended Cab Short Box WITH Torsion Bars

HPIM0545.jpg

HPIM0544.jpg

Going back to the original question. Your 2006 2 wheel drive crew cab has coil springs.

The 2006 extended cab 2 wheel drive WITH THE SHORT BED has torsion bars. Who knows why.

NO GMC/Silverado 2 wheel drive between 1999 and 2005 has torsion bars.

The 2007 will have coil overs.

Have a great day,

Don :ughdance:

aren't the VHO's the only 1/2 ton, 2wd trucks with t-bars.

I came into the same problem with my 2000 2wd and i got a $430 3in spindle lift kit off ebay and put it on myself. Its preety darn level with the 2in blocks that came with, now if I could only find a place where alignments are cheap. Also look at DayStar's 2in coil spring spacers if you want a cheap alternative.

• 4 weeks later...
not all 2wd 1/2 have coils. best to check yourself before ordering parts. no matter what the GM site says.

I am new to this site and saw your truck and was hoping you could tell me how you raised the front to level it. I have a 06 Chevy Crew Cab and would like to raise the front as you did.

Archived