engine washing

Gentlemen,

This is in responce to the post about knock sensors.

Anyone who washes an engine with a hose or steam is definitely peeing into the wind. There are so many sensors and wiring connectors not including tender parts like alternators that wet washing is suicidal.

I keep my engine sparkling with a damp cloth and a spritz of windex from time to time. Believe me, engines are made of sticks, snails and puppydog tails and like being a bit dusty.

A water flooding wash is demanding trouble. :cool:

Ken

Gentlemen,

This is in responce to the post about knock sensors.

Anyone who washes an engine with a hose or steam is definitely peeing into the wind.  There are so many sensors and wiring connectors not including tender parts like alternators that wet washing is suicidal.

I keep my engine sparkling with a damp cloth and a spritz of windex from time to time.  Believe me, engines are made of sticks, snails and puppydog tails and like being a bit dusty.

A water flooding wash is demanding trouble. :crackup:

Ken

Ive never had a problem washing my engine with a hose..................usually once a year I will spray her down with some degreaser.............and hose it off...........then once its good and dry..............spray silicone spray on all hoses, plastic and wires.

So far no issues............ :cool:

I am glad you have no problems but why "test" all those tender fittings and widgets when a damp cloth works so well. I also silicone/armor all my hoses and other stuff. I have seen much damage from water flooding. My engine compartment is clean and shiny without the risks.

ken

Gentlemen,

Anyone who washes an engine with a hose or steam is definitely peeing into the wind

A water flooding wash is demanding trouble. :cool:

Ken

LOL, I always make sure I'm standing with my back into the wind when washing/degreasing my engine and have yet to have any problems.

As long as high pressure water lines aren't used, I don't see where there is much of any difference than driving in (heavy) rain.regnparaply.gif

I've seen engines run just about completely submurged with nothing more than good placement of silicone spray and at most a snorkel.

IMO, anyone who gives their engine a delicate sponge bath has too much time on their hands.

Now, cleaning the inside of the cab with a hose is something else.

My motto:

Drive It Like A Truck !!

have always washed my engines with simple green and a hose then armor all.

do it once a month. Now on older carb engines I did have a problem with a little sputter until it dried.

the trick is this (( SPRAY DOWN WITH SIMPLE GREEN)))

WAIT 2 MINUTES

((SPRAY OFF WITH GARDEN HOSE )))

>>>>>>>>>THEN START RIGHT UP CLOSE THE HOOD AND LET IT RUN <<<<

THAT DRIES IT AND BLOWS OUT THE WATER BEFORE IT GETS INTO BAD SPOTS

note: Never wash down a hot engine !!!

have always washed my engines with simple green and a hose then armor all.

do it once a month. Now on older carb engines  I did have a problem with a little sputter until it dried.

the trick is this (( SPRAY DOWN WITH SIMPLE GREEN)))

WAIT 2 MINUTES

((SPRAY OFF WITH GARDEN HOSE )))

>>>>>>>>>THEN START RIGHT UP CLOSE THE HOOD AND LET IT RUN <<<<

THAT DRIES IT AND BLOWS OUT THE WATER BEFORE IT GETS INTO BAD SPOTS

note:  Never wash down a hot engine !!!

No offense, but washing a truck or car engine once a month is ridiculous. As mentioned before, if you get moisutre into certain harness connectors, you can cuase yourself greif beyond belief. I know of a case where they washed the engine on a Mercedes Benz and it would not start after that. It tookm a new engine wiring harness to correct the problem. An expensive lesson.

I wash my engine with Dove, it's 1/4 cleansing cream.

Now that there is funny :cheers:

If you don't think that there is funny you just get the hell out! :D:crackup:

On another note,I've always rinsed my engines off once in a while using Westley's bleech white,I've never had any problems. :cheers:

Rag and a little elbow greese with some dressing and a year and a half later the engine compartment looks as good as the day i brought it home.Ofcourse im past my wheeling days and the 4" thick layer of caked on mud my engines use to see. :cheers:

But i do agree there is just way to many little expensive as hell sensors and devices that i would not want to test to see if they can get water damaged.As long as you keep up with the cleaning every so often your engine will never need to be washed down.

Archived