New tranny value increase?

Hi all, I am putting my 2000 Seirra up for sale. It has 80k miles on it. However I had the tranny completely rebuilt 200 miles ago and is under warrenty nationwide for a year. Can anyone reccomend how much I should add on to the KBB or edmunds reccomended price for this? Im thinking $500 or $1000 sounds fair. It cost me $3000. Any suggestions? Thanks

That would seem fair. Although if I were a prospective buyer, I would want to know why it failed at 80K and what kind of rebuild was done (std or high performance etc.) , who did the work, and is the warranty transferrable.

Sometimes this can be a liability. A prospective buyer may think: Well, if it needed a tranny rebuild after 80k miles, this is not a very high quality vehicle, maybe engine is next at 100k miles.

Or he may think you abused the vehicle, or didn't maintain it to the point that the tranny failed.

Unfortunately, don't expect to get much for the new tranny. Sorry.

DEWFPO

Why did you replace the tranny? If the front main seal failed and it is documented, you will have a hard time getting people to come look but they may get interested once you engage them in the sales process. If the tranny failed for internal mechanical issues, you will have a very hard time unloading this truck. You might want to look at a trade-in or see if you can find someone green enough to grab it. I know your plight, however I will not sugar coat it for you.

Good luck,

--Roland

He most likely replaced the tranny for the same reason I replaced the tranny in my '83 Pontiac Boneville years ago. It fell apart right at 90k miles.

Consider what GM did: I had two identical '83 Pontiac Boneville Broughams, including color, except that one had a V6 and the other had a V8. The V6 car had a good proven 350 transmission that was still funcitoning properly at 130K miles when I sold the car.

For some stupid reason, they used a smaller weaker auto transmission in the V8 car - this is the one that fell apart at 90k miles.

Archived