Installed a AEM brute force system, results.....

Well I finally decided to spend the money on an AEM intake after reading some other reviews of the product. I got it from 4wheelparts. I specified chrome, and it came in a chrome marked box but it was silver unfortuantly. I took it with me on a trip to visit my sister. Before I changed it, on the way down, I averaged about 15.5-16 something with the a/c on, going about 75-80. I installed it while I was down there (pretty simple) and retested on the way back. Doing mostly 80mph, with the a/c on I got 17.3 mpg. That was gas station to gas station perfectly accurate. So not too shabby, plus it does have a pretty mean growl when you get on it, it'll be hard not to drive it hard just to hear it. When you floor it, it sounds pretty awesome, almost like a diesel to me for some reason. Just because theres lots of sound coming from the front and the rear now. This is on a 99 Silverado 5.3 w/112k miles, Magnaflow exhaust and pcm reprogrammed. I would recommend, kinda pricey but it is made in usa so that makes it okay to me. The stock intake and airbox is pretty funny when you remove it to install the kit. So much crap.

The under hood noise isn't too bad...but it's kinda hard for me to tell over my exhaust. :D Parts and installation is pretty good also, but there isn't 1mm left for room...nice snug fit. I like it the best because of the no oil dry flow filter. :cheers:

I am running on a supercharged Commodore 64 computer! LOL Seriously, my outdated machine is not much for doing video or sound clips, but I can tell you that the underhood noise is almost non-existant unless you pour the coals to her, then you hear it. The quality of the AEM is excellent and I really like it.

Kind of, you do remove the old airbox obviously, and theres a plate underneath it that you remove. You can see the ground with that plate removed. And the big metal bracket that aem sends you doesn't cover that back up. It will definetly give you a ton more fresh, cool air when you're driving but yea, I had thought about when it rains. Or actually for me the first thing I thought of was, if the automatic car wash spray would get in there. I run it through every weekend when I take it out (touchless of course, the ones we have by me are awesome, my truck is never dirty). I doubt anything will get in there unless you went through are very large pool of water at speed. I think if you want, you could leave that plate on, and install aems plate right on top of it. I'm pretty sure that would work, and that would block 90% of any splashing water. You'd obviously lose some of the cool air coming in.

• 4 months later...
The under hood noise isn't too bad...but it's kinda hard for me to tell over my exhaust. :lurk:  Parts and installation is pretty good also, but there isn't 1mm left for room...nice snug fit.  I like it the best because of the no oil dry flow filter. :cool:

I just put this in my new truck (07 4.8 classic) and you aren't kidding. The filter element BARELY fits. You have to get the intake tube just right or you will mangle the filter trying to install it. Why the heck they just wouldn't use a filter a little bit shorter I will never know. It does have a nice growl when you get on it, can't really tell it's there if you are taking it easy.

Archived