Exhaust Questions for Tahoe w/5.7L

I've got a 99 Tahoe.

I want to put Dual Exhaust on it, without catalytic converters.

Basically, I want it Loud as ####, but I want to gain as much performance as possible from doing this.

I want headers, what's the best priced, Good header, long tube preferrably, that I can get for the Tahoe? It's a 5.7L by the way.

Every muffler shop in this town told me that it's not a good Idea to put a high flow exhaust on a newer truck, because the computer is programmed to require the amount of back pressure that it comes with from the factory. Every one of them is totally against cutting the cats off, and it's not because it's not legal, every one of them I've called will take them off, so that's not the issue. They just tell me that it's going to mess something up, but nobody can seem to tell me what it will mess up, if anything? Hopefully somebody can shine some light on the subject?

Also, what size pipe should I run? From the headers to the mufflers, and from the mufflers on to the back of the truck?

Thanks a lot.

Basically, I want it Loud as ####, but I want to gain as much performance as possible from doing this.

I want headers, what's the best priced, Good header, long tube preferrably, that I can get for the Tahoe? It's a 5.7L by the way.

Every muffler shop in this town told me that it's not a good Idea to put a high flow exhaust on a newer truck, because the computer is programmed to require the amount of back pressure that it comes with from the factory. Every one of them is totally against cutting the cats off, and it's not because it's not legal, every one of them I've called will take them off, so that's not the issue. They just tell me that it's going to mess something up, but nobody can seem to tell me what it will mess up, if anything? Hopefully somebody can shine some light on the subject?

Also, what size pipe should I run? From the headers to the mufflers, and from the mufflers on to the back of the truck?

Your main problem is that they have 2 sensors in that year converter.  One at the begining and end of the cats.  I honestly don't think back pressure would be an issue if you ran 3' with say hooker headers and dual flows.  If you want the cats gone your going to have to have a buddy play with the computer on your truck or gut the cat.  

Actually my best friend who works at muffler man told me the way to get a truck its loudest is to run both pipes into 1 flow.  If you're going for as loud as possible get a 1 inlet dual outlet 4o series.  Definatly go with 3' pipe.  Shorter the better also, say if you came out the sides just beyond the door, the exhaust will be louder.

Archived