2002 2500HD LS on order

I found a dealer who would commit to a price based on the 2001's last Wed. before the 02 prices came out so I placed an order.  Did fair at ? over invoice with extras added on.  One question is, does the trailering pkg. include a second trans cooler in addition to the cooler included with the auto 4 speed?  Saleman swears it does.   Another question is, do any of you have a cd changer in your truck?     If so,  what type did you find that would fit ok and where did you locate it.

Thanks a bunch.

I believe the trailering package does include an additional cooler mounted in front of the radiator.  If you look at a truck with the package on it you'll see it behind the middle of the grill.  It is free satnding and doesn't touch the radiator.

Mountaineer Tom has one in his truck but I believe it is the kind that operates on FM frequencies.  He mounted the control box in the overhead console compartment, but that space is now occupied by "onstar".  His set-up is very nice...

By the way, congrats on the order!!!  I'm trying to get a 1500HD brought up from Pittsburgh, but if the dealer won't release it from his inventory, then I'll order a 2002.  The price increase on the 1500HD's is only about ? for a 2002.

(Edited by Shaners at 6:42 am on June 26, 2001)

Shaners is right, my cd changer is an FM modulated changer.  I've had it since '95 and originally put it in my '91.  After it was wrecked, I just moved it to my '99.  The changer itself is mounted on the drivers side, under the extended cab rear seat.  Here's some pics of it.

http://tommy3z71.homestead.com/cd_changer.html

Good luck with the new truck.

Thanks for the info on cooler and cd changer.  Now, if the del. date would hurry.<g>

BTW Tom, nice looking truck.  What type of nurf bars for steps and did you install yourself?

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment mcr10.  I have Westin Chrome Plated Stainless Steel and I did install them myself.  I went with the CPS bars over the regular chrome because I figured with their location, they would get beat up with rocks and other things jumping up of the road and would hold up better in the long run.  The directions could be alittle better, but pretty easy overall.  I've heard some guys have a problem with the parking brake cable going through one of the holes that you mount one of the brackets to, but I didn't have a problem.  Apparently some of the trucks have the cable ran differently.

Welcome to the site!  Hope you enjoy it.

(Edited by MountaineerTom 99Z71 at 9:50 am on June 26, 2001)

mcr10,

Now you have me wondering about the additional tranny cooler.  I think the HD tranny has the oil cooler on there with or without the towing package.  I'll find out later this week, because I may be getting an '01 HD2500 crewcab 4x4 which should be delivered to the dealer anyday now.  As I spec'd the truck out and started reading about it I am left to believe the HD tranny has the cooler as standard equip.  And the trailer package gives you the hitch and the wiring harness (7 prong).

Shaners you are correct; the AT on the 6.0 does come standard with the cooler.  That's why I questioned the salesman a couple of times about the extra cooler being supplied with the tow pkg.  If it were not for the extra cooler, I would not have gotten the tow pkg. even though I am going to use the truck to pull a travel trailer.  I will have to remove the receiver that is furnished to install a special hitch(Pullrite).  If anyone needs a receiver for their truck you know where you can get a good deal on a new one.  I suppose it's worth the extra bucks for the wiring and extra AT cooler though.

Good luck with your HD and hope it shows up soon.

mcr10,

Even if you don't use the stock hitch, the money for the factory installed wiring harness is still well spent.

I think on the 1500 series truck, that the aux cooler is part of the towing package, and that's why the tow package is more $$ for the 1/2 tons.

mcr10

Any info you need on the HD2500 let me know I have had mine since early OCT last year. One of the first in the Bay Area, I also have pictures of it hooked to my 26-foot travel trailer, if you are interested. The rig I have is 2wd but it has both an engine oil cooler, external (2nd) trans cooler, as well as a power steering cooler. Send me email at [email protected] if you want to see the pictures and I will steer you to the WEB location.

bowtiefan,

Salesman said del. would probably be in Sept.   He said 8-12 wks. depending on several things.

Wife picked out the color, which is light pewter with the tan interior.  Since we will be spending a good bit of time in the warm climates after retirement she thought it would be good to get a lighter color.  First choice was the dark red.  To bad you can't change colors with the seasons.  Maybe that could go on the option wish list with a morph paint.

2k1 2500hd,

Your rig close to the one I ordered:2500HD ext. cab, 2wd w/locker, LS, AT, bucket seats, camper mirrors, deep tint, hi-cap air cleaner, tow hooks, tow pkg.     I will be towing a 30ft. trailer at 7800 lbs.   That's good to know about the extra oil cooler.  

I also ordered the 2wd with the locker even though I live in NH.  I will not be using it in the winter except on dry road days for exercise.  I have a plow truck for the other days.  

I will email you for the web site.  I would like to see pics of your rig.

Thanks

mcr,

That should be one awesome truck.  Too bad i didn't know you lived 20 mintues from me while we had the 2500HD test truck up here a few weeks ago. I would have stopped by and shown you it! Oh well, there many more test trucks comming! Next one i get we'll have to get together, so you can see it. :)

Archived