Need Towing Information

Jay P

Howdy!

I bought a '94 Chevy C-3500 CC/LWB/DRW last year.  The previous owner said he never had the owners manual.  I was wondering if anyone out there had one that they could share some information from.  I specifically would like to know what the manual recommends for towing.  I have the 7.4L with the NV4500 5 spd manual and 4.10.  I have noticed that sometimes I have to come out of 5th (OD) when towing our GN trailer up some hills.  It tachs 2500 rpm at 65 mph in OD, and 3000 rpm at 60 in 4th.  Does the owners manual recommend not towing in 5th?

I wish I had the SFI 454.  The TBI does OK, but the Vortec is a monster (and even gets better mileage too!)

Thanx

Texas Trucker

First off, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it.

I don't have a great amount of experience towing with a stick shift, but what you describe doesn't sound out of the ordinary.  We never tow a loaded trailer with our truck in OD, always lock it in 3rd.  I would say drive in OD on flat ground, drop down out of it when you get in some hills.  You will notice your mileage go up if its like ours since the truck won't be lugging the engine as much, it'll be staying in its power curve better.

Thanks ya'll.  Anyone with a 2500 from 92-95 could answer - I think the owners manual is the same.  It should give recommendations for the 7.4L/HD5/4.10 and towing.

The reason I ask is it seems like this engine should be makin' more power.  Of course it does have 154K on it.  I think it should hold in OD when I hit smaller hills.  The GN  I tow is a 3 horse slant, steel with front DR and rear tack.  EW about 3200# and loaded with our 3-4 head of show cattle it is only around 8000#.  My wife work on a local ranch and her boss's 98 HD 2500 with 5.7/L80/3.73 seems to outpull ours.  They keep up no problem pulling a 26' Exiss SX Combo (aluminum) loaded to the gills with cattle show supplies, and feed (I have added all the weight in that thing and her loads average around 11.5K!).  Their truck has 185K on it too!

I have checked out ordering a new owners manual from Helm.  They are a bit steep.  I think they wanted close to $30 for it - after shipping and handling was added.

Just as a note - I used (repeat USED) to be a die-hard Dodge truck man.  My mind was changed after I bought that 1/2 ton '96 C-1500 and it had more power than the last 3/4 ton dodge I owned.

Later

Texas Truck - r

Well I'll be, another show cattle guy!  You're talking to another one here from IL. :thumbs:

I assume you have given your truck a good tuneup lately.  If not I suggest doing so, sounds like that may part of the problem.  Yet, I don't think having to drop out of OD on hills is totally unexpected, especially on a load such as that one.  I'm almost positive this other truck has to be pulling locked out of HD as it is about the exact same setup as we have, with the exception of gearing.  And yes, even with our 2000 K2500 the owners manual says something to the effect that better results will be found during towing when the tranny isn't in HD.

Yup, fresh tuneup.  I am waiting for my new plug wires to come in.  I have found the Borg Warner Select to be best for me (8.5mm solid wound core with double silicone jacket).  I have put a set on the 'Burban' and with that new Summit Super Coil it has improved off-idle response.

I suspect timing chain stretch (154K miles) and the computer is retarding the timing to compensate.  I have also checked the EGR function and looked for the typical GM throttle body vacuum leaks.

The other truck I was describing is used in 3rd.  It was turning over 2500rpm at 65 last weekend when we went to a 1 day ranch show down near Austin.

We raise and show Texas Longhorns.  They are great little beasts, and when we haul them in the bumper pull with more open sides we get a lot of comments at the gas stops and over the radio.  Seems people have a lot of misconceptions about them.  They CAN be mean, but we scale the ones with bad dispositions, unless of course the freezer is getting low!

Texas Truck - r

I have a 94 K2500 regular cab 4x4 with an nv4500 5 speed, 350 tbi and 3:73

Pulling our 3 horse steel slant I pull in 4th, not overdrive, wont hold speed in overdrive. Granted I have 3:73's and a 350. The 454 should pull it empty or running high speeds in overdrive, otherwise in 4th. Pulling trailers empty you should be able to run overdrive.

Thanks for the responses.

Hey Polaris man, what does your manual say in the towing section?  I think the 2500/3500 manual was the same, so it should have generic recommendations that I could follow.

I haven't even been able to get the tow rating for this truck.  I used the Chevy Talk to Us e-mail form and got an incredible reply from the good folks there - they say it is rated to tow 4000 lbs.  I asked for clarification, they repeated the same information.  Well, I guess I know where NOT to turn for reliable information.

I am assuming it is somewhere near 10K lbs.

Does the manual specify?

Also, when towing pretty good loads (above 7k) how warm does the transmission shifter boot hold down ring get in your truck?  Last summer I just happened to touch mine (right at the floor board)and was amazed at how warm (actually, kinda hot) it felt.  Level was good, so I am assuming it was probably near normal.

Quote from textruckr, posted on Nov. 22 2001,7:36

Also, when towing pretty good loads (above 7k) how warm does the transmission shifter boot hold down ring get in your truck?  Last summer I just happened to touch mine (right at the floor board)and was amazed at how warm (actually, kinda hot) it felt.  Level was good, so I am assuming it was probably near normal.

Its quite possible the fluid in your transmission was overheated, or dang close to it.  Manual transmission generate a huge amount of heat when towing in OD.  I've heard of several people who tow with the NV4500, and also have a transmission temperature gauge.  The said the fluid gets suprisingly hot, but the temps will drop if you tow in 1:1 for awhile.  You were probably alright, but just a heads up on stuff that can happen.

If you haven't changed the trans fluid to synthetic, it might be a good idea.  They will help lower the temps.

The NV4500 tranny uses a pure synthetic.  It is pretty near hard to get aftermarket too!  I have looked all over for the Castrol Syntorq (synth GL-4) and couldn't find it at any parts store.  Ended up buying it from a Chevy dealer for $18.50 a quart.  This was steep, but still way lower than what the Dodge dealer wanted (the Rams share the same NV4500).

Anybody here have a clue on what the change-out schedule is for the NV4500?  I was told once that it was "lifetime fluid, no change required".  I guess that could be true for any transmission.  You run it on the same fluid until it breaks and then the transmissions lifetime is up!

Thanks Guys

well on my door there is a sticker thats says do not tow in OD. its a 95 k2500, 454, 8 lug, 4.10, auto.

i've been told that towing in OD would cause a lot of gear hunting and possibly over heating of the tranny. so i tow my sport hauler in 3rd at 55mph (trailering speed limit anywhere i go)

Archived