Oil Change

Freyguy

Last night I did my first oil change on my 6.0L 2500HD 4x4.  It looked easy enough, but it turned to ####.  When I took the plug out, the oil flew right towards the y-pipe and hit everything but the pan.  After it calmed down, it began to drain into the skid plate.  The street has more oil on it than in the pan.  Then, the filter comes.  The guide said 3675 Fram.  Looked kinda short, but I trusted it.  When I took the other off, the 3675 was short.  I thought maybe it was the old faithful 3980.  I went to the shop and they said it was a 3980, but it didn't work.  The 3675 fit, but just worries me because it is about a half inch short.  The factory if a PF59.

Question is, do you guys have any helpful hints to make less mess?  I thought about trimming the skid plate, but maybe when I lift it won't drain in there.  I dunno, I almost miss my 4.3!  Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Brian

The oil out of the pan drains nice for me.  My problem is the filter on our 8.1's.

They put it just above the driveshaft, right next to the huge exhaust pipe/flange where it meets the exhaust manifold.  Removing this without some mess is next to impossible.  The last time I did it, I actually stripped the outside of the filter (at the bottom when it's notched) and ended up having to remove it with a band style wrench.

Either way, whatever was left in the top of the filter will spill all over everything below including the u-joint, side of the engine block, and get caught in the skidplate and frame rail.

I too miss the remote located filter on the 4.3's!

I don't have the 6.0, but on my 5.3 I stuff a couple rags in there where the skid plate is to keep the oil from filling it up.  There is a company that makes a replacement for the conventional drain plug.  If I remember correctly, you can attach a hose it and drain the oil.  I can't remember what it's called though.  I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you what it's called.  If no one has, I'll post the info when I find it.

BTW, welcome to the site.  Hope you enjoy it.  :crazy:

Here it is.  http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Looks like you can get it with or with out a nipple for attachinig a drain hose to.  I've seen several people with deisels that have these and seem to be very happy with them.  I don't know what all vehicles they make them for though.

Good luck.

I agree with Brian.  I have a 2500HD Crew Cab, Short Bed with a 6.0L engine.  Maybe the long beds are different, but the oil pan drain plug on my truck at the same height and about 2-3 inches in front of the cross over exhaust pipe from the left side of the engine.  Unless you have some way to deflect the oil from the oil pan to the catch pan once the plug is removed, the oil will hit the exhaust pipe and go everywhere.  I just changed my oil for the first time over the weekend and used a piece of newspaper to deflect the oil into the catch pan.

Also, I have my doubts whether there is enough clearance to install the Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve.  In my case there wasn't enough clearance between the exhaust pipe and the plug to fit a 3/8 drive socket and 15mm socket.  I had to use a 15mm box end wrench to remove the oil pan plug.

Just an idea, as I'm not too familiar with the 6.0/exhaust setup, but what if you made some type of deflector out of aluminium, or something similar, that you could lay in front of the exhaust pipe to deflect the oil down?  Not something permenant, just something to keep in the garage/shed and use it when you do an oil change.  It may be feasible.

CMNT will now give a free tip in cleaning up the chassis and undercarriage after changing the oil that I used at the dealer for years on brand new cars and trucks.

Use Brakekleen on it! :crazy:

Seriously, no B.S. it works!  Plus it evaporates.  Simply spray it on affected areas, wipe off any remaining after it evaporates.

Archived