2004 Silverado Bose Harness Diagram/ipod/aux Converter Help!

davo32683

Question

Hey guys, just picked up an Axxess AIP-GM01-ID iPod/AUX input converter for my truck from Circuit City. Seems fairly straight forward to install, but I need to know what needs to be done with the red (power) and black (ground) wires which I would assume provide the charge for the iPod while connected.

I was planning on tapping into the large factory harness, but I don't know which wire is which.

Is it safe to connect the wires to the constant (+) orange wire and ground black/white wire? Or would I need to hook the power up to say the accessory/ignition wire in the radio harness? Don't want to drain the battery or anything!

I would appreciate it if any of you stereo gurus could help me out so I can have a simple install tomorrow morning!

0 answers to this question

I don't do any aftermarket stuff but the problem with this is that there isn't really a ignition feed to the radio. There is a B+ that keeps alive the memory like there has been forever. There used to be a wire that was controlled by the ignition switch that powered the radio on. Not so anymore, the radio is essentially a computer that is told by another computer its ok to turn on. As a tech we do not deal with how to fool that circuit and most agree it's not a good idea to try. I would try to pull that switched power from elsewhere.

You could pull from the B+ or constant wire but I have no idea what kind of amperage your device will draw. If you want a ground terminal A-12 which is black with a white tracer is one of the grounds.

If you want an educated guess....if this is something you drive daily and you are only going to leave the plug without the i-pod plugged in, then you will not draw enough on the B+ to kill the battery. If it sits for a couple of days though, without knowing the device draw I can't tell you that you will not kill your battery.

It's up to you. There is no switched power. The full time power is terminal B-1 it is the orange wire. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Archived