Replacement Steering Wheel Button

The buttons are available from the dealer, they will probably need the last 8 of the vin to get the correct ones. I think they run around $125 or so and they all come together as a set. I tried finding some online (e-bay GM parts.com etc..) for mine with no luck. I had some bulbs burnt out but was able to replace them myself.

How do you replace the bulbs? a couple of mine are burnt out and the volume button is worn.

You disconnect the battery, wait 5min (for the airbag) remove the airbag, pop out the buttons from inside the wheel, they are just pushed in the spokes of the wheel. The only problem I had getting them out was with the wire harness attached to them. It's real short so you have to carefully wiggle them around to get them out far enough to get to the wire harness. Once you have them out you can carefully dissasemble them (they are just cliped together, I used a very small screwdriver) and pop out the circut board where the bulbs are soldered on. Use a small soldering iron to remove the bulbs and don't loose the little white sockets from the bulbs (you will re-use them). Then (or now) go to your local Radio Shack and buy some micro lamps # 272-1092 (two per pack and each button contains two bulbs). Re-attach the bulbs to the sockets, (there will be two styles of sockets used if you do them all) and re solder them to the boards. Sounds complicated but it's relly not just make sure you have a small enough soldering iron and be careful not to touch the resistors near the bulbs with the iron. I used a butane soldering iron I had from Mac Tools and it worked perfect. BTW the airbag comes off with a small flat screwdriver that fits in the little holes onthe sides of the wheel. You have to push the silver spring clips in on each side and it will release.

How do you replace the bulbs? a couple of mine are burnt out and the volume button is worn.

You disconnect the battery, wait 5min (for the airbag) remove the airbag, pop out the buttons from inside the wheel, they are just pushed in the spokes of the wheel. The only problem I had getting them out was with the wire harness attached to them. It's real short so you have to carefully wiggle them around to get them out far enough to get to the wire harness. Once you have them out you can carefully dissasemble them (they are just cliped together, I used a very small screwdriver) and pop out the circut board where the bulbs are soldered on. Use a small soldering iron to remove the bulbs and don't loose the little white sockets from the bulbs (you will re-use them). Then (or now) go to your local Radio Shack and buy some micro lamps # 272-1092 (two per pack and each button contains two bulbs). Re-attach the bulbs to the sockets, (there will be two styles of sockets used if you do them all) and re solder them to the boards. Sounds complicated but it's relly not just make sure you have a small enough soldering iron and be careful not to touch the resistors near the bulbs with the iron. I used a butane soldering iron I had from Mac Tools and it worked perfect. BTW the airbag comes off with a small flat screwdriver that fits in the little holes onthe sides of the wheel. You have to push the silver spring clips in on each side and it will release.

Excellent information!

Thanks!

Excellent information!

Thanks!

No problem

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to go the easier route check out www.latemodelrestoration.com. They have all sorts of parts that you can usually only find at the dealer. They have the buttons seperate.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/produc...-Steering-Wheel

Good to know, I'll have to bookmark that link. Thanks.

Fuzznuts, I tried your idea/method today, went out and bought the exact bulbs, broke out my soldering iron...worked like a charm!!! Of course if your buttons are worn you have to buy the new buttons like I suggested in my last post, but if all you have is a burned out bulb and you're the slightest bit handy....put new bulbs in it and save yourself some money and have some fun while doing it. Great post fuzz...thanks!

I just want to add that this same method works for the radio faceplate. I had a few buttons out and I took it apart to get to the board and soldered in new bulbs. The ones for the preset buttons are slightly bigger and I couldn't find them so I had to use the smaller ones (looks just fine). If you ever do this, hope the bulbs in the knobs aren't out because they are a b&$%^! because they are down in that tube...you'll know what I'm talkin about if you ever do this :shakehead:

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Came across this thread looking for a solution to my burnt out bulbs in my steering wheel buttons. Followed the easy instructions above and worked like a charm, though I agree that the wiring harnesses are far too short. I reran them around the horn assembly to make it easier to plug the buttons back in once completed. Also noticed that the replacement lights from Radioshack are brighter than the old ones, so I wound up replacing all 8 of them so they all match. Took about an hour to do all 8.

• 4 months later...

Archived