subwoofer install

I haven't, but on my '98 I had a JL12W6 in the back seat in a custom box. I'm pretty sure the 10's can take a very small box. Isn't it like .5 cubic feet? I would build some to fit under the seats. Or there are custom made boxes for your truck for 10's, but they are spendy.

Quote: from rocksolid on 8:51 am on Mar. 2, 2001

Has anybody put any subs under the rear seat of their rigs? I'm planning on putting in my old JL 10W6's.

You'll have to get a custom box to fit under you seat.  The most expensive I've seen is ?.  Make sure they build to the right airspace specs and seal the box.  Also make sure when you put them in the truck to put the boxes facing down.  You'll get a better sound.  

i didnt install my subs under the seat. thats where my 2 amps are. 4 channel is under drivers side, sub amp on the passanger side. and the subs are behind the seat in a cheap mtx box. i'm a tall guy and the box only makes the seat come up 1 notch from the very last one.  i personally want the seat all the way back, but can live with this little giving up of space.. wel till i can figure out how to port through the bed and into the cab without losing full function of my truck. flex and all that kind of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I have four JL 8W6's firing foward mounted under the back seat.  (two on each side of the tranny hump)

If you want tens they will have to go under the back seat.  The W6 line are very deep speakers.  They actually added a second magnet for the second voice coil.  

Don't buy a prefabbed box unless you want it to sound like crap.  I spent ? for my speakers and box.  The bottom of the box is fiberglass molded to the floor of the truck.  If the bottom of the box had been built with wood, I would have lost almost 1cu. ft. of air space and the box is only 2.5 cu ft. now. I'll post some pics soon.

I know that sounds high, but when my stereo is tuned, you can't tell where the low end is coming from.  Originally I was going to compete in IASCA in the amateur division.  I can't even remember what class. I had it almost finished but decided against competing.  I couldn't afford to take off work and travel enough to build up the points necessary to be a strong compettitor.  Lost interest after that.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived