K&N FIPK Update

As some of you know I wrote an article for GM-Trucks.com on the easy installation of the K&N FIPK Gen II.

There has been some concern from people in other forums about the filtering capacity and a small amount of dirt that may be getting through.

I'm trading my Silverado in tomorrow on an HD2500 so I removed my FIPK today.  I'm very pleased to report that I could NOT find a spec of dust or dirt anywhere on my throttle body inlet or inside the intake runner or plenum.  My guess is that whoever was complaining on the other forums either misinstalled their system or perhaps got a defective unit.  However I can not see how any air can enter the throttle body without passing through the filter if it is installed properly.  In fact the system seals tighter than the drop-in stock filter in my opinion.

I'm going to install the FIPK in the HD2500 if it will fit (I think it will).

I've been very happy with the performance and fuel milage that I've gained.

Shane  (light duty moderator)

Shaners

I don't know what the difference is but the is definitely a different part number for the 4.8/5.3 than what belongs to the 6.0 that you'll have in your new HD.

The one you have should be # 57-3021 and the one for the 6.0L should be # 57-3023.

Shaners - wasnt the issue about dirt getting through with the FIPK related to the filtering ability of the filter and size of particles filtered out, not air getting around the filter?  I think I read this long study on the filter breaking the stock one and the K&N down into square inches of filter, filtering ability, amount of air getting through, etc, etc, etc.....pretty much bad mouthed the K&N.  However its the only derogatory article/study I have read about K&N.....

I believe you are correct Newbie!!!  It was based on the ability of the K&N to filter the particulates.  I'm not sure how legite the study is, because with proper oiling and maintenance, the K&N has far better filtering than any stock paper filter!!!  I have never heard of an engine related failure related to their filters.

Granted, I only had about 1500 miles on the system when I removed it, but I took a clean white rag and wiped it around the intake to the throttle body, and the intake tube and there was no sign of any dust/dirt.  The filter itself was not the same "bright pink" as it was when I installed it...  so it must have been working great!!!

Sure Tom, here it is.....can't seem to copy the link so it is active so I had to type it in.. sorry.

www.acme.com/licensemaker

i see it does it automatically...

(Edited by NewbieZ71 at 9:21 pm on June 29, 2001)

The following is an email resopnse I got from K&N Filters, on the availability of the FIPK kit for a 2001 2500HD with 6.0l engine.

We are currently developing this kit.  We do not have an ETA on when it

should be released.  You can probably check back with us from time to time

to see if it has been released.

Thank you

Lisa

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 11:55 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: 2001HD Chevy

When will K&N Engineering have a CARB certified FIPK for a 2001 Chevy

2500HD with a 6.0l, 2WD, Extended Cab, California Smog. I would like the

extra power for towing my RV. When I look on your WEB site, I do not see

any listing for the 6.0l for 2000 and 2001 Pickups.

Thanks

Archived