Remember The Water Wienie?

This may be a common problem with 97 model 454's that have 200k+, however, everytime I start the truck, I can hear what I will assume to be antifreeze gushing thru the lines or block or something. Not only does this take place when just starting, but also when stopping at a light, and pulling out again. The sound of it is increasing with age. Perhaps the insulation that has protected me from that noise has worn, but I thought I would ask you guys bout it first!

How is the level of coolant. I find that mine will do this when I need to add some or top off the coolant jug.

--Mike

The heater core is usually the highest point of the cooling system, so when your coolant is low, the first place to lose it is the core (generally). The gushing sound you hear might be coolant running through the fins in the core.

How is the level of coolant. I find that mine will do this when I need to add some or top off the coolant jug.

--Mike

+1

And,

Try burping the system. You may have to park the front up on ramps.

--Mike

+1

And,

Try burping the system. You may have to park the front up on ramps.

I had the gurgling heater core issue in my 01 Silverado after changing coolant. Took a while but I finally got all of the air burped out of it.

Hey, thanks for all the great chat bout the gushing.

I do keep the fluids changed and checked regularly. When the noise started, the coolant level was the first place I looked. It maintains a normal level in the puke box, and the level in the rad. looks great. However, I will try to belch the tank this weekend to see if I can fix it.

Archived