Door Hinge Pin And Bushing Replacement On 1991 Sub

Hi All,

I am getting ready to replace the hinge pins and bushings on my 1991 suburban. As you know, the Sub still had the 73-87 old style body.

I have the pins and bushings, and am a pretty good mechanic, but was hoping to get some tips from those that may have been down this road before.

Looking at the set-up, it looks like I will have to unbolt the door from the hinge in order to have enough clearance to pull the top pin out.

If you have done this, is this indeed necessary? I would really like to not have to un mount the door from the hinge to avoid having to re-align the door and go that process.

The other thing, is that due to the "crimp" on the end of the OEM pins, it looks like I will have to cut the pins in half in order to drive them out. Is this the only way to go here?

Any thoughts or advise would be most welcome!!

Thanks,

Bob

I did this on my 92, once... To be honest, if you know someone in the body shop business, they are the best. A lot of experience there and the cost of the parts is all that is about required to get it taken care of. I would tap into some body repair manuals at the library for sources of info (that's the route I usually go).

Just my $.02's --Mike

Archived