Its time for me to upgrade the original sound system in the truck, my head unit is half dead and most of the speakers are blown… This is going to be a “budget” install that’s going to happen in my driveway. I would like for 99% of the stuff should mount in the factory locations, so that means no custom fiberglass boxes are being built.

My truck is a 2004 Silverado Crew Cab (Z71), it does have the basic 6 speaker system, and it doesn’t have On-Star.

But first off, I have a couple of questions since I can’t seem to find the correct answers on the web.

What size of speakers fit directly into the holes? Crutchfield says 6-3/4” in all 4, but another site says 6.5” on the front and 4x6 in the rear door.

On the front doors speakers with the woofer and tweeter separated is the crossover inside the door is all the processing done at the Factory head unit?

Is there any special adapter boxes or concerns I need to know ahead of time?

My plans are: (no parts have been decided on)

Phase 1: Headunit with CD/MP3/iPod/iPhone player functions; Front doors a set of Components; Rear door a set of 2-ways. Possibly run all the cabling for the future Phase

Phase 2: (6-12m later): Stealth Subwoofer and Amp; install all cabling needed to finish the install.

Its time for me to upgrade the original sound system in the truck, my head unit is half dead and most of the speakers are blown… This is going to be a “budget” install that’s going to happen in my driveway. I would like for 99% of the stuff should mount in the factory locations, so that means no custom fiberglass boxes are being built.

My truck is a 2004 Silverado Crew Cab (Z71), it does have the basic 6 speaker system, and it doesn’t have On-Star.

But first off, I have a couple of questions since I can’t seem to find the correct answers on the web.

What size of speakers fit directly into the holes? Crutchfield says 6-3/4” in all 4, but another site says 6.5” on the front and 4x6 in the rear door.

On the front doors speakers with the woofer and tweeter separated is the crossover inside the door is all the processing done at the Factory head unit?

Is there any special adapter boxes or concerns I need to know ahead of time?

My plans are: (no parts have been decided on)

Phase 1: Headunit with CD/MP3/iPod/iPhone player functions; Front doors a set of Components; Rear door a set of 2-ways. Possibly run all the cabling for the future Phase

Phase 2: (6-12m later): Stealth Subwoofer and Amp; install all cabling needed to finish the install.

I'd recommend going with 2 sets of 6.5" components. Try to it when Crutchfield is running a sale on em. Definitely don't go with the 4x6s in the rear. Oval drivers are terrible. Crutchfield will provide you with a filler plate to cover the origal hold in the door. Or you can make your own out of masonite. Get the most expensive headunit you can afford and get a brand name. Also get a head unit that is expandable. You never know if you'll decide to want to add thinsg later on. I'd recommend you go with a foldout touchscreen headunit, with a dvd player. They've really come down in price and give you tption to add other components to it later on. Some have squeezed double din units into the dash opening but I opted for the fold out. I like the abilty to close it when I park in "shady" areas.

It's a good idea to run all your cabling now as you said, that way you're not ripping out your interior again later.

Make sure you map out all the components and ensure that they'll all work with each other. Also, I'd recommend calling in the order with crutchfield. They're staff is really knowledgable, and can help you ensure you have everything you'll need. In some cases they can alos discount stuff on teh fly if you order with them right away.

Good Luck!

Archived