Tire Safety Video

Irv

Just FYI, those tires that they are showing come apart look like re-treaded tires, like what most Semi Trucks purchase. Not saying that the date on the tires are not important but that article was on ABC (try to scare the crap out of you to get higher ratings) news.

Contrary, retreaded tires do not come apart like "NEW" tires, most of the treads you see on the HWY's and Interstates are from new tires not retreads!

I use to think the same but my buddy, who's FIN owns J&M tire here in Ontario explained to me that retreaded tires are, in most cases, a lot tougher than new tires and far less prone to tread failures,,,,, they have to meet a stricter standard than new tires do, go figure!

Glad to see people are reading the link and for all the thank-you's, your welcome :sigh:

• 9 months later...

I think that this info is great. I am definitely going to take a look when I go to get new tires. All of mine now are from 08.

• 5 months later...

Must be a lot of old car tires up north down here all you see on the road are recaps that have come off big trucks.I sell big truck tires for a living. recaps do have a tougher tread when capped but you still have the same tire casing.No recap shop around here caps anything over 5 years old.And do becareful when buying tires alot of the big chains buy what they call old stock and they can be 2 to 4 years old sitting in a wharehouse.I bought some from Wal-mart and 3 were 2010 dates and 1 was 2008.I told them to go get me all 4 with the 2010 dates they thought I was a nut probaly.The news should have also talked about proper inflation and what that will do to the sidewall of tires.

• 4 months later...
Just FYI, those tires that they are showing come apart look like re-treaded tires, like what most Semi Trucks purchase. Not saying that the date on the tires are not important but that article was on ABC (try to scare the crap out of you to get higher ratings) news.

I agree wholeheartedly: BS Sensationalism Journalism Chicken Little etc.

They leave out how many gazillion miles a day that 15 year old tires roll at 80 mph with NO issues.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2011 3500 sierra that I bought new in December of 2011. It has the Michelin tires, 15000 miles, tires were manufactured 23rd week of 2010 according to the sidewall. They are starting to dry rot terribly. I know it is a safety issue so I need to get new ones. Does anyone know if this will be covered by warranty? I just contacted my dealer and they said that they need to see the tires and will contact Michelin, but it sounded like this is going to be my problem. Anyone have any experience with this?

• 4 years later...

Archived