Headlight Bulb Replacement : How To?

Ok guys.. so My low beams are horrible and want to put in some silverstars and need to know how to replace them.

I have heard you have to take off the whole grill just to replace the bulbs??

I have not yet tried or looked but thought i would ask the experts first.

any help would be great....... :lol:

Are there H11 Silverstars now? Last I knew they weren't made.

I just picked some up at Autozone about 3 weeks ago. I took the last two that they had though. :lol:

I've always RAVED that headlight replacement is the ONE thing that's easier on new vehicles than on old ones. I hope GM didn't go and mess that up.

The did mess it up royally on the GMT900's. The old arrangement in the 800 series was beyond simple; pull two pins and pull the entire headlamp assembly forward. Then access to the turn signals and DRL's was pretty easy too with just the one clip.

Whoever did the engineering on the new assemblies should be forced to go around the country and change any bulb that goes out. :lol:

• Like 1

Coming from someone who has family that works for GM, they did it to keep the super tight tolerances that people expect in cars. Now why that carried over to trucks (utility vehicles) I will never know.

And yes, I have bloodied a few knuckles changing bulbs in mine.

Just my opinion, but of all the vehicles I've had, the GMT900 headlights are by far the best beam pattern, even in stock trim. They have amazing beam cutoff at the top to prevent blinding an oncoming driver and excellent control of the other aspects. Very good job on them, IMO.

• Like 2

Just my opinion, but of all the vehicles I've had, the GMT900 headlights are by far the best beam pattern, even in stock trim. They have amazing beam cutoff at the top to prevent blinding an oncoming driver and excellent control of the other aspects. Very good job on them, IMO.

i agree, and the visibility even with the stock bulbs is excellent. i've had bad luck with Silverstar Ultra's in past vehicles. the bulb life was abysmal and the light output was just alright, IMO. i ran the standard non-ultra Silverstars back in college and they never burnt out. i've decided with my Sierra to save my money and just run the stock bulbs. my truck has plenty of visibility as is.

• 7 months later...

My hands are pretty large and to get the bulb out is going to be really hard. Do I need to unscrew the windshield washer fluid holder to make room? Any tricks? needle nose pliers maybe?

• 8 months later...

At $80-100 a pair and a realitively painless install, HIDs are the way to go. In Canada my low beams are my daytime running lights and therefore get 160 to 200 hours use each year. That is beyond the average life expectancy of highend halogens every year! @$25 a pop I will stick with my HIDs, My last set in my old Astro lasted seven years and are still running. The new H11 set in my S'10 Silverado will probably last me the same amount of time. Changing the bulbs may be a tight squeeze, but, if you only have to do it occassionally, it will be a time saver.

(also put LEDs in the interior, rear cab lights, license and backup lights)

• 1 month later...
Coming from someone who has family that works for GM, they did it to keep the super tight tolerances that people expect in cars. Now why that carried over to trucks (utility vehicles) I will never know.

And yes, I have bloodied a few knuckles changing bulbs in mine.

With all due respect for your family, changing the DRL bulbs is ridiculously hard on a Tahoe. Someone at GM had their head up their cuss when they designed that system. I would have been easy to design in a pop-out plastic plug in the bumper cover to allow access to the third screw instead of dismantling the front end for a little bulb.

Rant over...

It is a mission to replace the headlight bulbs when they go out. I run the Silver Star, they look great but they don't last very long. The longest they've lasted is about a year. Thinking of switching to H.I.D lights on my headlights & fog lights.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra and recently discovered an easy way to change the passenger side top bulb. I replaced both bulbs last summer, but one bulb already burned out and had to be replaced.

Disconnect the upper half of the air filter housing and move out of the way. You may have to loosen the hose clamp to give you more freedom. The lower half of the air filter housing can easily be removed with a slight upward tug. Once removed you have easy access to at least the top bulb. Swap out the bulb without touching the glass on the bulb. Once changed the lower filter housing can be re-inserted with a slight push back into the same holes and then re-assemble.

Now to figure out the driver's side.

I use to be able to reach my driver side bulbs. Now I have an aux battery so I can't get my hand in there. I did use two sets of 12" medical forceps to replace a driver bulb last week.

The passenger side can be accessed for replacement by simply unplugging the MAF sensor, loosening the connector hose clamp, and removing the entire (upper and lower) air box in one piece. It just pulls out. No need to disassemble the upper from the lower half.

just replaces my highs and lows with piaa xtreme white plus. thought it was easy and simple compared to some peoples complaints.

the lights themselves are pretty good but only had them about 1 1/2 weeks or 2 little blue tint compared to my yellow fog lights

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s680/Cody_Thorson/truck008_zps82be7910.jpg[/img]"]http://truck008_zps82be7910.jpg

truck001_zps07a6fe74.jpg

Edited by Dale13