How Much Transmission Fluid Does A 4l80 Trans Hold?

trx680

I drained and changed the filter on my trans and I refilled it with 7 quarts. I read on here to start off with 7 quarts and go from there but the dipstick is telling me I have way too much fluid. Its showing over an inch above the full mark. I started the engine and shifted through all the gears and checked it with the engine idleing, it was high. I drove it a few minutes, still high. This is my first automatic tranny so this is all new to me.

Its a 2001 Sierra 2500 HD 6.0 with the bigger 4L80 tranny.

Does anyone on here have a shop/repair manual for a 2001 that tells how much fluid to use?

THANKS !!

I believe it takes 13 quarts, my F250's take 12 quarts. I had my 2500HD flushed out back in Jan (first time I ever had a flush done) and the machine had 13 quarts in it and it took all of it and the dipstick read at normal level. When I did the fluid change's on the F250's, I had purchased the tranny fluid in the big jug which is a gallon I think. It took the entire jug, plus a couple of quarts on top of that.

I drained and changed the filter on my trans and I refilled it with 7 quarts. I read on here to start off with 7 quarts and go from there but the dipstick is telling me I have way too much fluid. Its showing over an inch above the full mark. I started the engine and shifted through all the gears and checked it with the engine idleing, it was high. I drove it a few minutes, still high. This is my first automatic tranny so this is all new to me.

Its a 2001 Sierra 2500 HD 6.0 with the bigger 4L80 tranny.

Does anyone on here have a shop/repair manual for a 2001 that tells how much fluid to use?

THANKS !!

I know the charts show 7+ on the a pan drop and refill. I always start out with less. Last 4L80 I did took about 5 like others have stated. Use the dipstick to determine your level. As stated you can remove one of your cooler lines and drain a qt. or so from it. Then re-check after it has warmed up

THANKS !!

I know the charts show 7+ on the a pan drop and refill. I always start out with less. Last 4L80 I did took about 5 like others have stated. Use the dipstick to determine your level. As stated you can remove one of your cooler lines and drain a qt. or so from it. Then re-check after it has warmed up

My pan has a drain plug. I already drained some but it wasnt enough. I'll drain some more out later....thanks for all the responses !!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived