Military Splice - How to

Hello all. I posted something similar to this several years ago but I thought I'd refresh it for everyone. I always see a lot of talk about DIY installations. As an MECP Advanced certified installer most of the issues I see are due to poor installs and bad wiring connections. I just thought I post a quick little tutorial on how to make proper wiring connection, called a military splice, for those that are not sure. Many will say a soldered connection is better, but this connection has a few very important advantages over solder joints. Not to say that it is better than a soldered connection just that it has a few advantages with none of the disadvantages. First is a military splice can be undone easily if you choose to remove the equipment from the vehicle. Second you are not working with a high heat source in a confined area, thus there is no risk of accidentally melting the insulation on another wire. Also this connection is as reliable and strong as a solder connection if done properly. As a matter of fact I will even show you how to do a proper solder connection here. Keep in mind I always solder end to end wire connections and shrink wrap them.
Here are the tools you are going to need for a Military Splice.

• Side cut wire strippers

• Small diagonal cutters

• Small pick tool or awl

• 4" zip ties

• 3M electrical tape

DSC00104.jpg

Once you have identified the wire you need to tap into, you strip the insulation with your wire strippers.

DSC00092.jpg

The next step is to use your pick tool to separate the individual conductors. Make a fairly wide loop in the conductors.

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

Your next step will be to strip the insulation from the end of the wire to be connected back about ¾" and twist the wire end tight. Then insert it through the eye loop you made in the other wire at a 90 degree angle.

DSC00099.jpg

Now squeeze the eye loop closed and wrap the wire around the main wire

DSC00100.jpg

Next step is to fold your connected wire down along side the wire you are connecting to. At this point you can solder the joint if you prefer but it is not necessary and you will lose the ability to un-do the connection easily. Now insulate the connection with your 3M electrical tape.

DSC00101.jpg

The last step is to use one of the 4" zip ties to secure the connection. Make sure the zip tie over laps the end of the tape this will help keep it in place.

DSC00103.jpg

That pretty much does it.

If you need to make multiple connections on the same wire I recommend leaving about 1.5" -2" between you connections and follow the same procedure for the next connection.

DSC00108.jpg

Don't be afraid to use plenty of zip ties, they are your friend, and will help keep everything tight and secure. The last thing you may or may not want to do, is dress your wires. Get your self some split loom that will fit over your harness. After installing the split loom wrap it in electrical for that factory look. Try to keep it tight and over lap the tape ¼ to ½ way over the previous wrap. It will look awesome.

DSC00110.jpg

I hope this helps some of you trying to do your own installs.

Very nice method. Just make sure to cut the zip ties straight and flush. They can be sharp! :lol:

How come I get the feeling you have been the victim of some one who cuts zip ties on an angle so it leaves little daggers everywhere there is a zip tie. :crackup:

Good tips, a set of those strippers would save me a lot of time.

Radio Shack $9.99

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived