New Air Intake is Awesome!!

I know a lot of you already have air intakes but other than my sound system, this is actually my first real mod and it kicks ass! I got a 77 series K & N for my 04 Silverado 5.3L. At first I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference, but as soon as I put some gas on, it sounded like I installed a muffler under my hood! Man, you can really feel the difference! Also I noticed I'm gettin like and extra 1-3 MPG depending on where I'm driving. I was so undecided on which air intake to get for the longest time but I decided that 200 bucks for a brand new K & N intake wouldn't hurt my wallet that bad. It was pretty easy to install too, it only took me about an hour. This is so awesome. I have a couple of mods on the way, magnaflow exhaust, billet grille, SS body kit, and tail lights, I can't wait!!

I know a lot of you already have air intakes but other than my sound system, this is actually my first real mod and it kicks ass!  I got a 77 series K & N for my 04 Silverado 5.3L.  At first I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference, but as soon as I put some gas on, it sounded like I installed a muffler under my hood!  Man, you can really feel the difference!  Also I noticed I'm gettin like and extra 1-3 MPG depending on where I'm driving.  I was so undecided on which air intake to get for the longest time but I decided that 200 bucks for a brand new K & N intake wouldn't hurt my wallet that bad.  It was pretty easy to install too, it only took me about an hour.  This is so awesome.  I have a couple of mods on the way, magnaflow exhaust, billet grille, SS body kit, and tail lights, I can't wait!!

What kind of mileage are you getting? I find it hard to break 17.5 mpg.

18 MPG easy, and I'm not exaggerating at all. 19-20 on the freeway at about 70-80 MPH (I live in San Diego)... Could be more on teh freeway but I ahven't taken it on a long trip yet. The biggest diefference is the city driving though.

my understanding is that it may NOT fit the 05 5.3's. the reason is due to the new design of the electric fan. i heard that the routing of the heater hoses is different than the 04 and lower years and therefore k&n for ex. had to redesign the intake because of this.

i believe this to be true because there still is no FIPK or 77 series intake listed on their site.....only a 63 series

18 MPG easy, and I'm not exaggerating at all. 19-20 on the freeway at about 70-80 MPH (I live in San Diego)...  Could be more on teh freeway but I ahven't taken it on a long trip yet.  The biggest diefference is the city driving though.

Have you done anything else to your truck besides the air intake? I added a K&N to 2001 truck and noticed no difference. But i was wondering how will it do on the 04 with 5.3. Also are you getting a combined 18 mpg with city and highway driving?

18 MPG easy, and I'm not exaggerating at all. 19-20 on the freeway at about 70-80 MPH (I live in San Diego)...  Could be more on teh freeway but I ahven't taken it on a long trip yet.  The biggest diefference is the city driving though.

Have you done anything else to your truck besides the air intake? I added a K&N to 2001 truck and noticed no difference. But i was wondering how will it do on the 04 with 5.3. Also are you getting a combined 18 mpg with city and highway driving?

Nope, that was my first mod. I just put a new exhaust on the other day though so it's hard to tell what my MPG is lately because I've been hitting the gas pretty hard trying to crate enough noise to wake up the dead. But before that, it's averaged out to 18-19 MPG combined city/highway...

My "fuel efficient" Vortec gets 13.9mpg.

My "not-so-fuel efficient" TBI 350 gets 15.5mpg.

I drive them both identically...So take that for what it's worth.

I've also never had any air induction kit make a whit of difference in HP, or fuel economy.

But I was born on the 13th...So it may just be me.

• 4 months later...

I've got the k&n Intake on my truck along with the other mods in the signature below and I just took a trip to the Smokey Mtns. from WV and that's pretty hilly all the way there. I made it down on one tank of gas and got 19.5 mpg Since I put the computer in mine I'm averaging 16 in town mileage. Boosted it 1-2 mpg all and all I think with all the mods.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mines around 12. I drive city though. I would only get around 230-250 miles to the tank. I did get 350 on the last one. But that was on a 45 minute trip to and back. So there was some good highway mileage.

Archived