Was there an "HD 2500" produced in 1998?

I recently saw a classified ad for a "1998 Chevy C2500 HD". I happen to own a a 1998 C2500 but no where on it does it say "HD". Was there an "HD" package in 1998? If so, how do you tell?

Thanks

I recently saw a classified ad for a "1998 Chevy C2500 HD". I happen to own a a 1998 C2500 but no where on it does it say "HD". Was there an "HD" package in 1998? If so, how do you tell?

Thanks

The 2500HD name was not born until 2001 as "HD" 2500 and 3500 model were built on older chassis through 2000 model year. There was two 2500 in 98, a "LD" model with a GM 9.5 inch 14 bilt rear axle and GVW of around 7500lbs and a "HD" model with a GVW of 86000 lbs and a bigger rear axle. They used to call these HD models CP6 chassis too but they were never officailly called 2500HD's as that name was used on new style trucks after 2000 for marketing and truth be know, a 98 HD 2500 is stouter than a 2001 through 2006 2500 HD. Just look at the springs in the rear because the newer model though it has a higher paper GVW rating, it has less springs to provide a better ride becuase very few that buy then evey really haul any real weight with them.

C6P is an RPO code for 8600 gvw. The OBS 2500 trucks came in two versions: C6P (8600 gvw, 8-lug wheels) and C5Z (7200 gvw, 6-lug wheels).

The NBS 2500HD's are 9200 gvw, so they're actually a replacement for the OBS SRW 3500's. Both have hydraulic boost brakes (rather than vacuum boost as was the case on the 8600 gvw models).

Stouter? I'd give that designation to the 9200 gvw 2500HD.

The NBS 2500HD's are 9200 gvw, so they're actually a replacement for the OBS SRW 3500's.  Both have hydraulic boost brakes (rather than vacuum boost as was the case on the 8600 gvw models). 

Stouter?  I'd give that designation to the 9200 gvw 2500HD.

Stouter? No way, the upgrade is on paper as it has less rear spring than a CP6 2500 and less than the 9200 SRW 3500 it replaced. The diffence is plan to see as springs leaf size is the same but there is less of them. I took a bunch of pictures of various models and brands that clearly shows the difference and it is not just 2500HD's, 1500 models have less leafs than the OBS trucks. It is all about improving the ride for sales as a car truck not as a truck truck. A friend of mine bought a 05 CC Dmax last year in a 2500HD. He hooked up his work trailer (a 7 x 18 with dual 5200 lb axles) and it mushed badly at times and did not handle well. He had pulled the same trailer for years with a GM 1 ton van (OBS too) with no issues on sag or stabilty. When it was but a week old we dropped the rear axle in my driveway with air tools and added leafs to it (which should have been there to begine with) and it did much better. Just go look at a old CP6 or a 3500SRW OBS truck rear suspension and then look at your HD and you will see that I am not blowing smoke here. Better still throw 3000 pounds in both and see which one drags its butt more. I have had 4k lbs of salt in my truck on occasion (a OBS 3500 SRW) and it did fine but it would have been a mushy messy on a 2500HD with same paper GVW rating. Just writing it on paper does not make it so if the meat is not there to back it up.

Have to disagree, there's no way a 1998 2500 (HD) i.e. 8600 GVWR is a stouter truck than a 2000+ 2500HD 9,200 GVWR.

I have had the following work trucks.

1995 K2500 ECSB 8600 GVWR. While a very reliable truck it darn near dragged it's rear bumper with an ATV in the back and pulling a horse trailer. Brakes were marginal at best.

2002 K2500LD ECSB 8600 GVWR. Again very reliable. Didn't sag as much but it definitly squatted when hauling the same load. Braking improved a little.

2005 K2500HD ECSB 9200 GVWR. I've got 30,000 miles on it without a hitch. Shows no sign whatsoever of sagging with the same load. Braking is much better.

without reading any spec sheets I'll stick with a 2000+ 2500HD, or better yet my personal beast of a truck :D

:lol:

Have to disagree, there's no way a 1998 2500 (HD) i.e. 8600 GVWR is a stouter truck than a 2000+ 2500HD 9,200 GVWR.

You can continue to belive the illusion if you want but it is a illusion because the beef is not there. Just open your eyes and look and it is plain to see. BTW, my old stock 2000 K3500 OBS handled my freinds trailer tongue weight with far more ease than his like GVW rated 2500HD. The only thing HD about it is the name, I will put 3k in a old CP6 or 3500 SRW OBS and carry it with far greater ease than you will with your 2500 HD because it simply has less suspension than these other models of like or less GVW rating. Plus, I have never had ANY braking issues with my 3500 SRW OBS and I weigh about 5 tons at times in winter when loaded and it still has excellant brakes at the weight AND the abilty to carry it too. I see a lot of plow trucks in winter and I see a LOT of 2500HD dragging the butt when loaded with salt while the OBS truck are not with same load. This is no surprize because GM has placed ride quality unloaded over true load capacity and they are saving 20 or 30 bucks a truck too by putting less spring in them. Paper rating do not hold your rear end up, springs do.

I can understand what snoman is saying. In the half ton market this may be true, yes they have less leaf springs, but they do handle the same weight and ride better. Most half ton trucks are not used for hauling heavy weight.

As far as the 2500HD and 3500 Silverado/Sierra you are barkin' up the wrong tree. Take a look around the internet, especially diesel sites, and see what these people are hauling and towing. These trucks are built rather tough. You just have to own one to find out. :lol:

You can continue to belive the illusion if you want but it is a illusion because the beef is not there. Just open your eyes and look and it is plain to see. BTW, my old stock 2000 K3500 OBS handled my freinds trailer tongue weight with far more ease than his like GVW rated 2500HD. The only thing HD about it is the name, I will put 3k in a old CP6 or 3500 SRW OBS and carry it with far greater ease than you will with your 2500 HD because it simply has less suspension than these other models of like or less GVW rating. Plus, I have never had ANY braking issues with my 3500 SRW OBS and I weigh about 5 tons at times in winter when loaded and it still has excellant brakes at the weight AND the abilty to carry it too. I see a lot of plow trucks in winter and I see a LOT of 2500HD dragging the butt when loaded with salt while the OBS truck are not with same load. This is no surprize because GM has placed ride quality unloaded over true load capacity and they are saving 20 or 30 bucks a truck too by putting less spring in them. Paper rating do not hold your rear end up, springs do.

Do I have to post you a picture? They have hamstringed the 1500 and 2500 models. 1500 OBS had 3 leafs and a booster, NBS 2 leafs and a booster. 2500 CP6 OBS 5 or 6 leafs with a booster (I have seen both) 2500 HD NBS 4 leafs and a booster. Same leaf span, same leaf size just less of them. A spring shop here are on to the "game" because if you call them for a leaf they already know what sizes to cut to add to it based on model. (when we added a leaf to mys freind mushing new 2500 HD they had the right size waiting for us to pick up) Ford has done the same with springs on most models.

Just because there are more leafs in a spring pack doesnt make the truck a better load handler, has anyone compared the rear GAW or how about the true travel to the bump stop? Many of the current trucks use less spring but more travel with a more progressive spring rate to allow a plush ride at light load, but the overall load capacity is the same. If someone wants to beat themselves up driving a truck with old tech equipt thats fine, but to say more is better is rediculous unless the truck is always at or near the springs max load, in which case both trucks could stand to use more spring. If a 7x18 trailer was creating problems Id be looking at the balance of the trailer before running off and adding springs, my buddys 8x24 enclosed snowmobile trailer loaded up is childs play for a 2500HD.

Just because there are more leafs in a spring pack doesnt make the truck a better load handler, has anyone compared the rear GAW or how about the true travel to the bump stop?  Many of the current trucks use less spring but more travel with a more progressive spring rate to allow a plush ride at light load, but the overall load capacity is the same. If someone wants to beat themselves up driving a truck with old tech equipt thats fine, but to say more is better is rediculous unless the truck is always at or near the springs max load, in which case both trucks could stand to use more spring.  If a 7x18 trailer was creating problems Id be looking at the balance of the trailer before running off and adding springs, my buddys 8x24 enclosed snowmobile trailer loaded up is childs play for a 2500HD.

Finally! Agree 100%, stop spending all of your time looking at springs and balance them loads out!

Just because there are more leafs in a spring pack doesnt make the truck a better load handler, has anyone compared the rear GAW or how about the true travel to the bump stop?  Many of the current trucks use less spring but more travel with a more progressive spring rate to allow a plush ride at light load, but the overall load capacity is the same. If someone wants to beat themselves up driving a truck with old tech equipt thats fine, but to say more is better is rediculous unless the truck is always at or near the springs max load, in which case both trucks could stand to use more spring.  If a 7x18 trailer was creating problems Id be looking at the balance of the trailer before running off and adding springs, my buddys 8x24 enclosed snowmobile trailer loaded up is childs play for a 2500HD.

Finally! Agree 100%, stop spending all of your time looking at springs and balance them loads out!

It get better yet, the 1500HD has the same springs, tires and brakes as the 2500 HD but the HD is rated 600 lbs more. I have towed a loaded car hauler with my old 1/2 ton 89 4x4 burb with ease as iven it has more spring in the rear than a new 2500 HD (5 with a booster vs 4 with a booster on "HD" (same leaf size too) THe point I am making is do not blindly follow manufacture GVW ratings because you will find that they are lighter sprung for softer ride for sales and that they will not carry yhr same load as easily as a older model that has more spring. There is no set regulation on how to set GVW (just like with tow ratings) and it is more sale/marketing driven than anything else these days. If you are seriuos about doing some hauling, look under that body, not at the rating or the 2500HD on the door because it is misleading. .

BTW, there was nothing wrond with trailer load, only truck because it can weight 7 to 9K at times (it is rated at 10K GVW) and with 10 to 15% of that on hitch (15 is best if TV can handle it) at 9k that is about 1300lbs of tougue weight. My 2000 K3500 handled it fine (I have even towed a small dozer a few times with it with a trailer weight of over 13k on a pull type hitch with no issues, just couple it and run) and his old 1 ton van did great too but his new 2500 HS sucked when hitched to it before we added leafs to it. Even my 27 year old J20 handled the weight on back better than a new HD. GM needs to add more spring or reduce GVW and call it MD as the 1500HD will handle anything it will spring wise and that is a real farce to sell a 2500 HD with same suspension as 1500HD. Let buyer beware. .

i agree the newer 3/4 and 1-tons are not as stout as the older ones were. ive got 3 trucks and hooking up the same trailer with the same load to each truck makes this clearly visible. a 1978 camper special 3/4 ton hardly squats at all, a 1997 k3500 squats quite a bit, a 2002 2500hd squats a LOT. not to mention the amount of abuse they can handle before wearing out and needing repairs, gm trucks lost a lot of thier balls in 1988 when the ifs crap came out and they started catering to people who WANTED a truck not people who NEEDED a truck. actually, i also have a 1990 cp6 3/4 ton that is stouter than my 97 1-ton.

Archived