Quadrasteer?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vertikal

vertikal

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

Last month I purchased something I maybe shouldn't have. I traded my 99 silverado w/200 plus mi. for a 2004,chevy 2500 lt crew cab 4x4 w/ quadsteer, (everything in it but kitchen sink)only 47k on it for $15000, the 4 whl steering amased me...made a little noise kinda like a posi-trac might do on pavement but didnt know so I got x-tended warranty. Took it in today to maybe change fluid in rearend diff. to calm the noise down..but I pull a camper and thought i needed the added steering, now mech at gm want to disassemble rear diff and find the noise, shavings,etc,,,,or whatever is making what ase cert mechanics say it shouldnt have been sold like that...it wasnt normal...dealership has informed me within hr. ok to drive in 2 wheel until monday when they take it and i get rental car.....hope this has a happy ending....quad steer is awesome

Edited by vertikal, 10 April 2009 - 06:11 PM.

Vertikal Quadrasteer

#2 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

You'll probably need to add more information to your post, like what you purchased that you believe you shouldn't have and also why the GM tech believes he needs to do this work.
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#3 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,072 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

Probably not anything more serious than replacing some bearings. Not the end of the world. At least you'll know exactly what you have when he's done. Hopefully not TOO expensive to fix.

Edited by Zembonez, 10 April 2009 - 03:32 PM.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#4 sk

sk

• 401 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

Just make sure they use the right diff. fluid -- the QuadraSteer trucks require a special fluid in the rear axle. As a matter of fact, if the previous owner put regular fluid in the rear that may be creating some of your noise problems.

#5 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,924 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Just make sure they use the right diff. fluid -- the QuadraSteer trucks require a special fluid in the rear axle. As a matter of fact, if the previous owner put regular fluid in the rear that may be creating some of your noise problems.

+1 Its GM part#12378557 (And DO NOT add friction modifier to it)

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#6 brian in calif

brian in calif

Enthusiast

• 14 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Check the Quadrasteer Club site. Lots of tech tips. My quad made rear end noise after diff was rebuilt with 4:11 gears, wrong oil. GM special quad oil fixed'

#7 vertikal

vertikal

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Check the Quadrasteer Club site. Lots of tech tips. My quad made rear end noise after diff was rebuilt with 4:11 gears, wrong oil. GM special quad oil fixed'

might seem like a silly question, but what gears do you think came in mine? Seems the wrong oil is a frequent problem....still in shop, maybe mine will be back thurs...curious to hear what problem was.

Edited by vertikal, 14 April 2009 - 06:54 PM.

Vertikal Quadrasteer

#8 brian in calif

brian in calif

Enthusiast

• 14 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

might seem like a silly question, but what gears do you think came in mine? Seems the wrong oil is a frequent problem....still in shop, maybe mine will be back thurs...curious to hear what problem was.

Most quads came with 3.73 or 4.10. Should have build list in glove box. or ask dealer to look up vin build list. most info on quadrasteer club.com=quadrasteerclub.infopop.cc
tx=brian

#9 05Quadrasteer

05Quadrasteer

Enthusiast

• 243 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

If you can't get to the Quadrastter club site due to it not working any longer many of thier links were moved to the Denali site at; http://denalitrucks.com/forum/

Also I concur the first thing you need to ensure is you have the proper oil in the rear end. It costs upwards of $30 a quart.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Posted Image

2005 Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 with Quadrasteer, 5.3L engine, 3.73 rear end gear

Add-ons
Wester's tune 89/93, Matched fuel injectors from Westers, 180 Thermostat, Airaid air intake, Dynatech Supermaxx headers and cats, Corsa dual side exit cat-back exhaust, 275/60/20 wheels, Factory fog-light kit, Chrome step up bars to allow wife and daughter to get in easier, Access roll-up tonneau cover

#10 RC05HD

RC05HD

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

Look in the glove box if you see GT5 that = 4.10's if you see GT4 = 3.73's. Unless quad steers codes are different.

#11 vertikal

vertikal

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

Probably not anything more serious than replacing some bearings. Not the end of the world. At least you'll know exactly what you have when he's done. Hopefully not TOO expensive to fix.

it was limited slip clutches...gm replaced them, no big deal but even they say it was unusual for 'em to go out so early(50.000 miles)...not quadrasteer related
Vertikal Quadrasteer

#12 vertikal

vertikal

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Look in the glove box if you see GT5 that = 4.10's if you see GT4 = 3.73's. Unless quad steers codes are different.

it is a gt-4(3.73)...is that lower or higher than 4.10's
Vertikal Quadrasteer

#13 Tex-Mex

Tex-Mex

El Vato mas Loco

• 2,092 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:39 PM

it is a gt-4(3.73)...is that lower or higher than 4.10's

LOWER GEAR= NUMERICALLY HIGHER
Posted Image
2006 Sierra 5.3L
Current mods-accessories:Flowmaster 40-series SI-DO/K&N drop-in filter/Rhino Liner/35%Tint

Planned mods-accessories:True duals/Air-Raid MIT Intake Tube/'Vette Servo/Blackbear Tune/Lowering Kit/Bed Cover of some sort/Antenna Delete
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nobody can make you feel nferior without your permission--Eleanor Roosevelt

#14 vertikal

vertikal

Enthusiast

• 83 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hey, i read that u had 4.11's installed....howabout a 2004 lt quad getting 4.56 ratio? Thats what I'm working on now...3.73 isnt enough to pull camper(9440lbs in mtns)
Vertikal Quadrasteer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users