Max Tire Size On A 18x8 Inch Wheel?

TDYE522

I'm new to the board and own a 2008 GMC SIERRA ALL TERRAIN EDITION extended cab shortbed. I am about to order the rough country 3 inch lift and will upgrade tires as well. The kit says that the recomended tire size is a 285/65/18. But I was wanting something maybe just a little larger. The wheels are 18x8 inches. Can I fit a bigger tire on those wheels? Any help would be great.

I got on tire rack and looked up the tire I would like to go with (bf goodwrench AT) and rough country says to go with a 285/65/18 and it measures 11.5 inches wide and 32.8 inches tall. After seeing a truck in person with a level lift and the 285s, I would like something a little bigger. The BFG AT in a 305/65/18 measures 12.2 wide and 33.7 tall. How much of an issue would it be to put that on the stock 8 inch rim? And what about rubbing?

• 1 month later...

yeah 315 (12.6 inches) wide is about the max. Height doesn't matter as long as you can fit it in the wheel well and turn lock to lock without scrubbing, or you don't hit it on the top of the inner fender when the suspension hits full compression.

Recommendations are exactly what they are....Its not recommended to change anything from its stock configuration...but we all listened to that one didn't we.

Having said that....I have heard a rule of thumb is wheels should be no more than 4" narrower than the tires thread. A 305 is 12.2" wide...you are 4.2" narrower...but I know lots of people with 33X12.5X16's on they're 1500's, and those wheels are only 7" wide. These guys have no problems.

Its up to you...I would go ahead, I would actually go with 315's to get a full 12.5" wide thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BFG has a new tire out, 275/65/R18 a little over an inch taller than the stock 265's. The 265's I believe are 31.X" and the 275s are 32.X"

Would these fit with no modifications?

Archived