2010 Sierra 1500 Econ

so i got my new 2010 sierra 5.3L 4WD and the fuel economy, despite the E85, flexfuel, active cylinder management thing is rock bottom at 13 using regular unleaded. ethanol is essentially the same given some weather variations.

on a recent highway trip the v4 mode almost never came on at 74 mph.

i got the same mileage from a 6.2 yukon denali SWB AWD without any fancy technolgies.

the truck is still new, will the mileage improve, or do i have a lead foot?

:D My 6.0 with AFM turned off and 4.10 gears averages 13-18mpg :) I'm sure it will get better. I'd try and stay away from the e85 as well as any fuel with 10% ethanol if you want the best possible mileage.

I have a 08 reg cab long box 5.3L AFM and 4L60E trans and 3.73 gears, just got 19.1 on this tank and a decent road trip. I don't go fast, 55-60 on highways and 65 on Interstates, I don't understand the whole going over 70 MPH on roads, then complain that MPG's suck. Well, I have never got a speeding ticket and always leave early for a appointment or comitment. Most roads around here are rough as hell right now, and you could see your exhaust evacuate your car in a hurry. Seen a muffler and remnants of an exhaust pipe on the side of a road, assuming from a car. Exhaust looked good too, no rust or anything, but one helluva good bump there though, I think a culvert is there. But I just take it easy. I am probably one of the guys getting the finger doing 65 on the Interstate while everyone else is flying by me doing 80, but I don't care. Last I checked my house isn't going to move or my place of work isn't going to abruptly leave if I speed there getting to it. Just my opinion, but I see and here this all the time and I tell my buddies if they slow it down a touch they might see better MPG's. Another thing with programmers and such, every buddy I have talked with put one on, NEVER saw an increase in MPG's. They saw a decrease, because the truck drives easier, and they get real throttle happy. For $400 or better, you can buy a lot of fuel for your truck. I doubt you will ever see a programmer pay for itself, or an exhaust upgrade. I like dual exhaust, but the only one that I would do is Magnaflow because it is Stainless Steel like what is on my vehicle already, but will probably never see any benefit to justify the $500+ pricetag. Well this is my .02. I know all trucks are different, but I constantly see a minimum of 18MPG and got as high as 23MPG. This is what I get with stock configurations.

I have an 09 CC 5.3 6spd 4wd. My fuel milage got better with after I got a few miles on the truck. It seemed to average high 13's new but now I average mid to high 15's combined city highway. I have seen as good as 21.5 on interstate going 70.

You're going too fast. 2008 and newer vehicles get mpg ratings at 65 so that is where they are optimized. Older vehicle highway ratings were at 55.

My only experience with v4 mode was on a 2008 5.3 extended cab 4x4. It seemed that the engine controls were "hacked" to optimize at 65. It would display around 19 mpg in v4 at 65 buy go 63 or 67 and it would return to v8 mode and around 16 mpg.

I agree with Deere, talking about fuel economy at 74 mph is silly. I keep my Chevy truck to 65 mph on the highway. With the plow on I keep it to 55 mph. With a 2004 1500 regular cab 4x4 with 4.8, NV3500 and 3.73 gears I get 17 mixed city highway. I've seen a little over 19 on the highway at 62. And that's with all terrain tires.

Air resistance is a cube factor against speed. Thus fuel consumption increases drastically as speed increases. With that said, I don't think your mpg is that out of line. You didn't mention your mileage. MPG generally increases as the engine wears in, piston rings seat, etc.

My mileage has been the same since new. 15-16 average every tank, which sucks. Its exactly what my my '99 got. I think my all time best in the new truck is 18. But that was driving whiile trying to keep it in V4 mode as long as possible, speeds would drop to the 50mph range on slight grades, and when going downhill slowly build up to the 60's. Giant PITA, to do that. There is no way in hell this truck will ever get 20mpg's, this was all prior to leveling kit, etc...

Only one tried and true way, I have ever seen that increases mileage, is having a light foot and setting cruise control at 55-60 mph... :)

or by putting on one of those tornado contraptions :lol:

Only one tried and true way, I have ever seen that increases mileage, is having a light foot and setting cruise control at 55-60 mph... :)

or by putting on one of those tornado contraptions :lol:

Say what you want, but I saw a consistent 1mpg gain on a 95 nissan hardbody 4wd with one of those. I was young and desperate for horsepower.

However the intakes on a v8 is a completely different animal. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my 2010 Sierra 1500 ext cab with 5.3, 6 speed, 4x4, Z-71, 3.08 gears w/G80 rear, 18" wheels with 265/65 Briggs D/ATs. First tank manually calculated 17.4 MPG though the DIC said 16.2 average but it started at zero. Mostly city / country driving until the break in is done though I have had some "fun".

Tire pressure was 34/35 during the first tank.

Got the gears for long cross country trips, suprisingly not bad off the line. Would not have gotten the 3.08s with a 4 speed.

Increasing tire pressure to 40 for the next tank and got an Extang Solid Fold tonneau.

Next: a CB with dual ears and an aux battery for camping.

I have a 08 reg cab long box 5.3L AFM and 4L60E trans and 3.73 gears, just got 19.1 on this tank and a decent road trip. I don't go fast, 55-60 on highways and 65 on Interstates, I don't understand the whole going over 70 MPH on roads, then complain that MPG's suck. Well, I have never got a speeding ticket and always leave early for a appointment or comitment. Most roads around here are rough as hell right now, and you could see your exhaust evacuate your car in a hurry. Seen a muffler and remnants of an exhaust pipe on the side of a road, assuming from a car. Exhaust looked good too, no rust or anything, but one helluva good bump there though, I think a culvert is there. But I just take it easy. I am probably one of the guys getting the finger doing 65 on the Interstate while everyone else is flying by me doing 80, but I don't care. Last I checked my house isn't going to move or my place of work isn't going to abruptly leave if I speed there getting to it. Just my opinion, but I see and here this all the time and I tell my buddies if they slow it down a touch they might see better MPG's. Another thing with programmers and such, every buddy I have talked with put one on, NEVER saw an increase in MPG's. They saw a decrease, because the truck drives easier, and they get real throttle happy. For $400 or better, you can buy a lot of fuel for your truck. I doubt you will ever see a programmer pay for itself, or an exhaust upgrade. I like dual exhaust, but the only one that I would do is Magnaflow because it is Stainless Steel like what is on my vehicle already, but will probably never see any benefit to justify the $500+ pricetag. Well this is my .02. I know all trucks are different, but I constantly see a minimum of 18MPG and got as high as 23MPG. This is what I get with stock configurations.

Wow, around here the speed limit is 70mph and most people will run you over if you're going it. :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new here. Just got a 2010 1500 RCLB. It is a Work Truck with a power windows, locks, and mirrors. Powertrain is 5.3 with 3.42 gears.

It only has 500 miles, but first check at 250 miles showed 20mpg, half of this was probably hiway driving. The next 250 miles was going to get a cap put on. I got a Leer 122, it is a raised rooof, pretty tall. The trip home was into a stiff headwind, I drove 65-75 mph. That check showed 19mpg.

Archived