Want to smoke those tires?

For those of you who want to smoke your tires, there is a product called line-lock that locks your front breaks and lets the back go.

"Using the Line Lock:

When using a Line Lock, the first thing you will need to do is apply the brakes. For best results, you may want to pump them once or twice before you really mash the pedal to the floor. With the brakes applied, you will now want to hit the Line Lock control button. This will lock the front brakes closed allowing you to let off of the brake pedal with your foot. As long as you hold the button, the front brakes will stay locked. As soon as you release the button, the front brakes will release and the car will again be allowed to roll. While all this makes doing a burn out a little easier, both on the car as well as the driver, don't forget that its also very helpfull in keeping the car in place once you're staged. Either way, this is definitely one thing that every car that hits the drag strip on a regular basis should have."

Full article Line-Lock Install :thumbs:

So will a line lock work or affect ABS on newer trucks? Granted I dont so smokey burn outs that often, actually very seldom. But it would be cool to have just to show up a few Fords every now and then. HEHEHEHE.

I'm not sure if there are special versions for each car, I know when I bought mine, I think I got it from T-Byrne years ago when all he had was F-Body stuff.

It is a little more difficult than just bolting something in as you have to tap a brake line.  So having some brake line tools comes in handy.  Mine is the only one I've ever installed and I did it 4 years ago, so I don't recall the details, maybe gandolph has a detailed listing.  :thumbs:

CMNTMXR81, thanks for the info and proper name - I don't have them, but am thinking about it, I will post the details when I do the deed.

I mainly posted the article because it seemed like a good idea for the track, doesn't seem to be well known in the truck world. :thumbs:

And it saves rear brakes!  :devil:  Plus if you have a manual tranny it makes it much easier to roast them.

At the track before I put the line lock in, I'd drive around the water box into the staging lane, back into the water box just as the rears would get into it, proceed to bring the RPM's, let the clutch go, it starts spinning then I had to jam on the brakes which dropped RPM's right away sometimes killing an effective burnout.

With the line lock, I pull in the same, hold the brake, hit the button, bring up the RPM's, let the clutch go and maintain about a 3,500rpm 7-10 sec burnout, hit the button and pull up to the staging beams.  Much easier.  :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

I had it on my 97 Camaro SS, and helped install it on a 98 Z.  All it did was pretty much function as a valve.  You would push the brake to pressurize all calipers, engage the roll control, and release the brake.  The roll control would keep pressure on the front calipers until it was released.

To do this, the solenoid (electric valve) has to be in-line between the proportioning valve/dist. center and the front calipers.

Will be installing it on a '91 Z28 w/in the next week or two.

Important note!!

Remember...When installed, the roll control is part of your system, even when not in use.

Make sure the inner diameter (I.D.) of the roll control is at least as large as your brake line.  If not, the restriction will change your brakeing dynamics by limiting pressure to the front brakes when not in use.

Guest Friz
I wonder if it'll work on a 4 cyl X-Terra. :thumbs:

Yes, but you have to wait until the rear wheels are on ice before you see the full effect! ;)

Archived