How Do I Find My Emissions Requirements

I am restoring my 1980 GMC 25 and wanted to know what Emissions requirements that truck had in 1980

I live in Ontario and don't want a nasty fine for not having the proper emissions on my truck. The sticker that was on the air breather is gone. I know there were some items on that sticker.

Any help would be great.

mike

post-80241-1282842165_thumb.jpg

I am restoring my 1980 GMC 25 and wanted to know what Emissions requirements that truck had in 1980

I live in Ontario and don't want a nasty fine for not having the proper emissions on my truck. The sticker that was on the air breather is gone. I know there were some items on that sticker.

Any help would be great.

mike

wecome nice looking truck where in Ontario?

I believe they had air pumps on them, and charcoal canisters. But other than that, I don't know what to tell you. In Georgia, where I live, cars over 25 years old are exempt from emisions control.

We are exempt too however we have these "envirocops" that like to pull older cars and trucks over and make sure the emmissions were not removed. I was just stopped in my 89 Buick that still has to be checked and passed to get plates. The guy had no idea what to look for. The best part was when he grabbed the upper rad hose :cool:

My truck has plugs in the exhast mans and I was wondering why? Do you know when the cats started in these trucks?

I believe they had air pumps on them, and charcoal canisters. But other than that, I don't know what to tell you. In Georgia, where I live, cars over 25 years old are exempt from emisions control.

We are exempt too however we have these "envirocops" that like to pull older cars and trucks over and make sure the emmissions were not removed. I was just stopped in my 89 Buick that still has to be checked and passed to get plates. The guy had no idea what to look for. The best part was when he grabbed the upper rad hose :cool:

My truck has plugs in the exhast mans and I was wondering why? Do you know when the cats started in these trucks?

Then your air pump has been removed, because that's what it does is pump air into the manifolds through those bungs to cheat the air emisions tester, basicly. It had a array of hoses and pipes under the hood that ran from everything from the carb to the mans. Itwas real common practice to take these pumps off, as they used around 20 hp to operate and there was no emisions at the time to be enforced. Your 80, also, should have a cat, but most people removed these to. Back then, most people removed all the emisions off your model of trucks. But, if the envirocop was grabbing a rad hose, then I wouldn't be worrying about a ticket from him.

in Ontario there are to levels of govrnment federal and provincial. provincial just wants clean exhaust at time of testing (1988 and newer)federal says they want to see all the original smog equip in place if its plated for the road

in Ontario there are to levels of govrnment federal and provincial. provincial just wants clean exhaust at time of testing (1988 and newer)federal says they want to see all the original smog equip in place if its plated for the road

That's sorta like it is around here. The state wants you to have the testing every three years. But, if a police catches a truck without cats or/and mufflers, then they can write you a ticket and require your vehicle to be rechecked by the state within a certain amount of time.

So can one still get the air pumps? I wonder if gm published this stuff? Like a list. I was pulled before and they inquired about the plugs in the mans. I told them the mans were from an 84 and that worked. Might not now as they seem to be getting more with it. The upper rad hose grabbing guy was a bit of a looser as he should not have even pulled my car over as it is still in the testing years. My 80 will be a bit of a stopper as it will be obvious that this is not in the testing years.

So can one still get the air pumps? I wonder if gm published this stuff? Like a list. I was pulled before and they inquired about the plugs in the mans. I told them the mans were from an 84 and that worked. Might not now as they seem to be getting more with it. The upper rad hose grabbing guy was a bit of a looser as he should not have even pulled my car over as it is still in the testing years. My 80 will be a bit of a stopper as it will be obvious that this is not in the testing years.

They still sell the air pumps and stuff, but I'd try to drive without the pump and see what happens first. Hell, you may never get caught, or at least by somebody who knows a thing or two about GM trucks.

getting caught is a big fine I think $750.00

They still sell the air pumps and stuff, but I'd try to drive without the pump and see what happens first. Hell, you may never get caught, or at least by somebody who knows a thing or two about GM trucks.

getting caught is a big fine I think $750.00

$365.00 cdn per violation / per missing part

On a 1980 Silverado sold in the US, the cat. converter was the only blatantly obvious emission part. It did have all the thermostatically controlled things like the heat riser on the passenger manifold. Also had emission canisters for fuel vapor from the tank. But no AIR pump at all. IIRC, trucks got C. converters about 1978.

I'd buy aftermarket stock type exhaust manifolds to get around the AIR pump if required. They will not have plugs in them

The big thing they look for are obvious missing things. Stuff like plugged vacuum lines or welded over air pump tubes stand out like a sore thumb. If the plugs in the manifolds look like they may have been original (like all 8 are the same, no odd ones) and you have no empty brackets on the front of the engine, you may only need to make sure there is a cat con and evap cannister on there.

So the way I see it is I need a Cat for sure, need the fuel charcoal canister for sure, (even my 71 has that) we don't know for sure if the 80's had the rails that ran off the mans although I have what looks like factory plugs in mine? However I have no Cat no Charcoal canister either so one of my previous owners could have just ditched it all right?

Does anyone know the specs for cats? I have one off my 93 jeep can I just put that on? (or maybe runa a straight pipe through it to look good? I have a flowmaster 40 on it now but think I may go stock because of the noise.

I'm really thankful for all the advice.

Doug I'm in Ajax too!

Are you going to Oshawa's autofest this weekend?

you'll see my 71 gmc if you go.

The big thing they look for are obvious missing things. Stuff like plugged vacuum lines or welded over air pump tubes stand out like a sore thumb. If the plugs in the manifolds look like they may have been original (like all 8 are the same, no odd ones) and you have no empty brackets on the front of the engine, you may only need to make sure there is a cat con and evap cannister on there.

post-80241-1282869568_thumb.jpg

Archived