Sierra (GMT-900) Sunroof Leak .. How To?

New to the site, in fact I found it while searching for a fix for leaking water down my front and mid pillars from the sunroof. Found others with the problem, and found the TSB here. Perfect. Ordered the new seal from GM. Done.

I'm pretty good with doing most of my own truck work, however this task is new. The TSB specifically states NOT to replace or remove the glass. JUST replace the rubber weather stripping. Does it just crimp onto the glass, and so will come off in order to put the new one on? GM wanted $300 for the job.... I got the part through my buddy at the GM parts counter for $65... and according to the blow-up diagrams, its pretty straight forward.

Anyone else done this fix? (And yes, its JUST outside the warranty period) Just my luck.

Mike

Oh, PS: I should also mention I have checked both the front and back drain tubes (partially dropped the headliner in the back) and they are both clear, water flows out the bottom of the truck.

• 3 months later...
Anyone else done this fix? (And yes, its JUST outside the warranty period) Just my luck.

Oh, PS: I should also mention I have checked both the front and back drain tubes (partially dropped the headliner in the back) and they are both clear, water flows out the bottom of the truck.

I am having the same issue but I couldn't find the TSB here online, even after multiple searches! My rubber seal that goes around the glass feels a bit stiff and I do notice some wind noise when its closed. This said, I think I need a new seal. Bugs me a bit since the wifes car was 10 years old and never had an issue now my '07 has a leak. GM QA falling down a bit maybe?!?!

• 3 months later...
So has anyone else had any issues with their sunroof leaking as of late?

Mine doesn't leak in the rain, but I am getting some water at the front edge (on the inside) after going through the touchless car wash. If you push on the front of the glass, it doesn't seat very tight to the front of the opening.

I might have to hit the dealer and ask the question.....

• 5 months later...

My sunroof leaks like crazy, but my drain tubes are fine so the water comes in and flows out the tubes, never getting on the headliner or in the cab. HOWEVER, I feel there is FAR too much water coming in. It would never have been noticed had I not pulled the headliner cover back one day out of curiosity and saw how much was coming in, I figured there would be a drip or two but not a steady stream! This can't be correct, I mean think about it, god forbid a tube gets clogged and it rains overnight, my whole truck will flood out!

Before I take it in does anyone know particularly how much water is acceptable?

Anyone have the TSB?

Lastly, does anyone know how to make adjustments to the sunroof? I may play with it before I take it in to the dealer

Hi guys,

new to the site. rocking a 07 gm sierra and got water underneath my floorboards.. actually brought to the dealer last year and claimed they fixed it.. never thought about it again, till i check it this week on a whim...

so ive used the search button, and pretty much most of the results are pointing toward the drain tubes or the moonroof..

can anyone point to me where i can find the drain tubes to see if htey are clogged ( or even a picture what it looks like). ill check the seal on the roof as well...,where would those vent out to ?

I posted in your other post, not realizing I had posted this a year ago. Anyway, a year later after replacing the seal, there are no problems. No leaks.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give anyone an update. I fixed the sunroof myself a while ago, it's 4 screws to get it out, the seal is a PIA, took an hour to get it on but once you get the hang of it it's just tedious. Centering the glass wasn't that bad, you can just kind of feel it when you're installing it, I got it right the first time and everything is copacetic!

Archived