07 Gmt900 Lifter Replacement

07SLT

I took my 2007 GMC Sierra with/5.3 into the local dealership for a ticking lifter noise earlier this year. When it was in the shop they did not observe the ticking probably because it was a fairly warm that day and it is more noticeable on colder mornings. Yesterday the dealer called and said they received some information from GM and that new lifters were recommended for repair, I had them order the parts and they will be replacing them soon. Has anyone else had their lifters replaced under warranty and did it fix the tick? Thanks

I think it depends on the dealership, make sure that they know what they are doing because they need to remove the cylinder head..

Everyone is waiting for the new redesigned lifters, are you getting the latest version, I mean the version mentioned in pip4499B or D? according to the bulletin they are due last month (August 2010).....

Hope this helps

#PIP4499B: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off For 2 Hours Or More - AFM Engines - keywords BQMI - (Oct 29, 2009)

Subject: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More - AFM Engines

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade

built before April 1, 2006 with 6.2L L92 Engine

(these engines were built with AFM Hardward but the AFM system was disabled)

2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2007 Buick Rainier

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS

2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trail Blazer

2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2007-2010 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon

2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2007-2009 Saab 97x

With an AFM (Active Fuel Management) V8 Engine:

(RPOs L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5)

This PI was superseded to remove non-AFM engines from this PI because there is no longer an updated lifter in the works for non-AFM engines. Please discard PIP4499A.

Important: This PI only applies to AFM V8 engines above. It does not apply to Non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a Non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, please refer to the latest version of PIP4725.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been off for at least 2 hours and can last for several minutes. In most cases, the noise will last less than 2 seconds, which should be classified as a short duration tick noise. While in other cases, the noise may last longer than 10 seconds, which should be classified as an extended duration tick noise.

This may be the result of dirty/low engine oil. dissolved air in the oil, low internal lifter reservoir level, and/or debris in the lifters.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following suggestions as necessary:

1. Check the oil condition and level. If it's more than 1 quart low or if poor oil quality is noted, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the noise. Allow at least a 2 hour soak time between start ups when re-evaluating the noise.

2. If the tick lasts long enough, perform a cylinder power balance test with the Tech 2 to cancel each fuel injector while listening to the noise. If the noise is eliminated, or greatly improved, each time a specific fuel injector is cancelled, there is most likely a concern with the related piston pin or piston to cylinder wall clearance of that cylinder. If this does not isolate a specific cylinder, continue to the rest of the steps below.

3. If an extended duration tick is experienced from more than 1 lifter, replace the oil pump and oil pump o-ring to address potential dissolved air in the oil. Generally, this will not affect oil pressure or cause obvious air bubbles in the oil that can be visually identified.

4. If an extended duration tick is experienced from a single lifter, use the information below to determine if the suspect lifter pack is equipped with Eaton lifters or Delphi lifters. Replace all of the lifters on both banks if Eaton lifters are present. Replace all of the lifters on the suspect bank if Delphi lifters are present. The new lifters from GMSPO should be Delphi lifters.

• AFM Lifters:

2364065.gif

• 1) Eaton - 3 Slots in Tube

2) Delphi - No Slots in Tube

• Non-AFM Lifters:

2364066.gif

• 1) Eaton - 2 Parallel Clip Wires Visible

2) Delphi - 3 Clip Wires Visible

5. If a short duration tick noise is experienced and none of the information above helps, updated AFM lifters will most likely be needed to repair the noise but they will not be available until Spring 2010 at the earliest. They were supposed to be available during the 4th quarter of 2009 but further validation work is needed. This P.I. will be updated with additional information as soon as they are available. Replacing the lifters with the ones currently in GMSPO stock may not repair a short duration tick noise.

PIP4499b is OLD, there is at least one update after this update which I read at the dealer which states new design will be available August 2010..make sure they apply the latest...

This is D:

#PIP4499D: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine

Has Been Off For 2 Hours Or More - AFM Engines -

(May 25, 2010)

Subject: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off for 2

Hours or More - AFM Engines

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade

built before April 1, 2006 with 6.2L L92 Engine

(these engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was

disabled)

2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2007 Buick Rainier

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS

2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trail

Blazer

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2007-2009 Saab 97x

With an AFM (Active Fuel Management) V8 Engine:

(RPOs L76, L77, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5, LZ1)

This PI was superseded to remove the portion that recommended oil pump and pick up

tube o-ring replacement for an extended duration tick noise, also removed the part

that referred dealers to PIP4725A if they were dealing with a non-AFM engine since

PIP4725A has been deleted since oil pump replacement is no longer suspected as a

source of cold tick noises. Please discard PIP4499C.

Important: This PI only applies to the AFM V8 engines above. It does not apply to engines that

are not equipped with AFM.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this

PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been off for

at least 2 hours. In most cases, the noise will last less than 10 seconds, which should be

Document ID: 2477997 Page 1 of 3

http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSysk...7&from=bcpi 6/30/2010

considered a short duration tick noise. If the noise last longer than 10 seconds, it should be

considered an extended duration tick noise.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is

noted during the concern, perform the following suggestions as necessary:

Check the oil condition and level. If it's more than 1 quart low or if poor oil quality is noted,

change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the noise. Allow at least a 2 hour soak time

between start ups when re-evaluating the noise.

If a short duration tick noise (less than 10 seconds) is randomly experienced on cold start,

updated AFM lifters will most likely be needed to repair the noise but they will not be

available until July or August 2010. This P.I. will be updated with additional information as

soon as they are available. If the noise occurs less than 10 seconds, there is no need to

follow steps 3 and 4.

If an extended duration tick (10 seconds or more) is experienced on every cold start and it

lasts long enough, perform a cylinder power balance test with the Tech 2 to cancel each

fuel injector while listening to the noise. If the noise is eliminated, or greatly improved,

each time a specific fuel injector is cancelled, there is most likely a concern with the

related piston pin or piston to cylinder wall clearance of that cylinder. If this does not

isolate a specific cylinder, continue with step 4.

If an extended duration tick (10 seconds or more) is experienced on every cold start but

the noise diminishes within a few minutes, determine if the noise occurs at cam speed (half

of crank speed). If so, isolate the area that the noise is coming from. If the noise is too

excessive or if the customer does not want to wait for the updated lifters mentioned above,

use the information below to determine if the suspect lifter pack is equipped with Eaton

lifters or Delphi lifters. Replace all of the lifters on both banks if Eaton lifters are present.

Replace all of the lifters on the suspect bank if Delphi lifters are present. The new lifters

from GMSPO should be Delphi lifters.

AFM Lifters:

Document ID: 2477997 Page 2 of 3

1) Eaton - 3 Slots in Tube

2) Delphi - No Slots in Tube

Non-AFM Lifters:

1) Eaton - 2 Parallel Clip Wires Visible

2) Delphi - 3 Clip Wires Visible

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the

condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need

to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform

these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the

proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and knowhow

to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your

vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle

may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT

VOLUNTARY

TECHNICIAN

CERTIFICATION

© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Document ID: 2477997 Page 3 of 3

FINALLY! Time to call the dealer and schedule my appt. They said as soon as they are available they will call me. LOL, they told me this about a year ago. I guess I will have to refresh their memory. I needed to bring it in for new speakers, and the recalls. I am glad they are finally here so now I can get everything done in one shot...hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I did have the lifters replaced under warranty two days ago. The service bulletin # I was given is # 10-06-01-007.

This is the list of components that were replaced:

A CUSTOMER STATES TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE ON COLD START UP, SEE TSB SOPH CAUSE PER BULLETEN 10-06-01-007 J0627 VALVE LIFTER REPLACEMENT BOTH SIDES

1 12589226 0289 GASKET

1 89060413 3270 GASKET KIT

2 12617944 3270 GASKET

20 11571134 0293 BOLT

10 12558840 0293 BOLT

1 12602048 1251 PLUG

2 12602541 1097 SEAL

1 15077362 3611 SEAL

1 15035747 3611 SEAL

8 12576400 0459 F-LIFTER

8 12632143 0459 LIFTER

1 12346290 8800 COOLANT

6 15032594 3613 NUT

1 11589264 8981 STUD

6 12345610 8800 OIL

1 89017524 1836 FILTER

FOUND NOISE FROM THE LIFTERS REPLACED LIFTERS AS PER BULLETON #10-06-01-007 NEEDED TO REMOVE BOTH CYLINDERS HEADS TO REPLACE LIFTERS.

ALSO REPLACED ALL NEEDED GASKETS AND SEALS TO GET THE LIFTERS OP CODE J0627 960 AD 2 TO REPLACE ALL LIFTERS.

That’s it, hopefully the noise is gone…….so far so good but winter is coming and it was much more prevalent in cold weather.

Great!,

#10-06-01-007: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters) - (Aug 13, 2010)

Subject: Active Fuel Management (AFM) Engine, Valve Lifter Tick Noise at Start Up When Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More (Evaluate Noise and/or Replace Valve Lifters)

Models: 2007 Buick Rainier

2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2007 Cadillac Escalade

Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 (These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled)

2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2007-2009 Saab 9-7X

Equipped with AFM (Active Fuel Management) V8 Engine (RPOs L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5)

Attention: This bulletin only applies to the AFM V8 engines listed above. It DOES NOT apply to Non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a Non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, please refer to Engine Mechanical > Diagnostic Information and Procedures > Symptoms in SI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers may comment on an engine valve lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been shut off for at least two hours. The tick noise may last from two seconds to ten minutes.

Cause

This condition may be caused by any of the following:

• Aerated oil in the valve lifter body, resulting in the valve lifter being unable to purge the air quickly.

• A low engine oil level or incorrect oil viscosity.

• Dirty or contaminated oil.

• A low internal valve lifter oil reservoir level.

• Debris in the valve lifter.

• A high valve lifter leak down rate.

Correction

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this valve lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following steps:

Inspect the engine oil condition and level. Refer to Owner Manual > Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Description and Operation > Engine Oil in SI.

? If the engine oil is more than one quart low, an incorrect oil viscosity is being used or if poor quality/contamination is observed, change the oil and filter.

Note: Allow at least a two hour soak time between engine OFF and start up when evaluating the tick noise.

Start the engine and evaluate the valve lifter tick noise.

? If the valve lifter tick noise is still present, replace all 16 valve lifters. Refer to Valve Lifter Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Note: A V8 AFM engine requires 8 AFM lifters and 8 non-AFM lifters for a total of 16 lifters.

Part Number

Description

Qty

Non AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter

AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter

Warranty Information (excluding Saab U.S. Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

J0627

Valve Lifter Replacement - Both Sides

Use Published Labor Operation Time

Warranty Information (Saab U.S. Models)

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Saab Labor Operation

Description

Failed Object

Fault/Reason Code

Location Code

Warranty Type

Repair/Action Code

STM Labor Time

21421-12

Replace part, Depressor

01 (Replace)

Use Published STM Labor Operation Time

J-man67: That is exactly how my 07 5.3 sounded on cold start up. Like I said I did take the truck in and complained earlier this year but they did not observe the noise at that time. They called me back late this summer and said my vin showed up on the TSB and that new lifters were recommended for repair. Surprisingly they replaced lifters without hearing the tick in person. I also took a video clip to back up my complaint if needed.

4wd: Thanks for posting the TSB

Archived