Grease Fittings?

I just bought a 2006 Colorado Crew Cab 2 wheel drive. I noticed when driving it that it makes a crackling noise when I turn the steering wheel.

Are there grease fittings that might need grease or can someone tell me what might be causing the sound?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Does it do this when the truck is not moving? Try turning the steering wheeel when the truck is stopped but still running. Get a friend to turn the wheel while you are outside even if it means walking beside the truck while it is moving slowly. Could be many things, front end, power steering pump (check the fluid level). Grease the fittings to eliminate that idea if you think that might be it. Noise could be coming from the steering column or you may have some crap caught on one of the rotors. A trapped pebble in your brakes can sound bad too.

Good luck.

Does it do this when the truck is not moving? Try turning the steering wheeel when the truck is stopped but still running. Get a friend to turn the wheel while you are outside even if it means walking beside the truck while it is moving slowly. Could be many things, front end, power steering pump (check the fluid level). Grease the fittings to eliminate that idea if you think that might be it. Noise could be coming from the steering column or you may have some crap caught on one of the rotors. A trapped pebble in your brakes can sound bad too.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply! It only seems to make the crackling sound when driving it and turning the steering wheel. The sound seems to be coming from the front at times, then other times the back. If the truck is sitting still, running, and the wheel is turned it's quiet. It only makes the sound while moving and in a turning motion.

Could it be bumpers or bushings that need lubrication?

Rich

Archived