How To Change Motor Mounts In A 05 Duramax

badass56

Question

i have a 2005 crew cab duramax here. the motor mounts are pouched and neeed to be changed. is there any secret to changing these? does anything have to be removed to be able to get to them?where is the lift points on this engine to lift it up enough to get the old mounts out and new ones in?

thanks in advance for any help/info!

0 answers to this question

do you have any service info? i dont have it here but i think the frt diff has to go ,just take a look ,i think they would be a pain in the ass,

i never saw it in the dealer but mines can be a rat bag environment i guess

if its an HD the body has a built in lift and that means more room to raise the engine/powertrain,remove the shroud upper half first of course ,

good luck,let us know what ya find

lift points should be there , or bolt the chain anywhere on the side that is to be changed ,

do you have any service info? i dont have it here but i think the frt diff has to go ,just take a look ,i think they would be a pain in the ass,

i never saw it in the dealer but mines can be a rat bag environment i guess

if its an HD the body has a built in lift and that means more room to raise the engine/powertrain,remove the shroud upper half first of course ,

good luck,let us know what ya find

lift points should be there , or bolt the chain anywhere on the side that is to be changed ,

there, i have both motor mounts changed , took awhile as i kept getting pulled to other jobs.

i found drivers side mount ripped the rubber apart and passenger side broke the metal mount right in half, this i have never seen, i talked to the chevy tech up in this area and he said hes changed tons of duramax mounts.the passenger side is just the matter of lifting the engine up a few inches removing the inner fender shroud and you have just enough room to access it.

the drivers side is more difficult. you have to drop the front diff out of the truck to be able to access the mount, its a bit of a pain but is doable.

long story short the truck is back up and running for a couple more days.... will see what goes next. i sure find all the weak spots on these trucks in a hurry. i ant keep up with this fleet.

i have never seen dirtymax motor mounts fail,how did you figure this diagnoses out?

this is not a DIY job Nathan . you need to rethink things here

the truck is making a clunk, so i open the hood up get a guy to switch gears from neutral to drive, neutral to reverse with engine reved up. as we are doing this my arm is on the air filter, the engine pops up about 8 inches and so does the airfilter housing, it is the motor mounts ripped out, i am a journey men mechanic and maintain a fleet of about 20 or 30 of these duramax trucks. i have never seen motor mounts ripped out on a duramax my self. but we are a gold and silver mine up here, and these trucks get the shit beat out of them on a day to day basis.

just looking for the best way to change these out...

Archived