Easy Afm Disable

I'm new to this forum, but have been ghosting for a while. I've not seen any posts about this and maybe some already know how. But if you are like me, and fed up with the AFM gimmic, here is one way to work around it without buying an expensive tunner.

I have the 6 spd tans in my tuck so this may not apply to those who have a 4 spd. However, to disable the AFM, put your tranny in manual (M) and tap shift up so 5th gear is the highest gear. (a 5 will show up next to the M on the DIC) Now drive like you normally would. No need to tap up or down. It's essentially a 5 spd auto with the AFM disabled!! I've been driving this way for a while and have not seen any difference in MPG. (18 highway, 15.7 mixed) Fith gear yeilds 2100 rpm @ 70 mph and in my opinion the motor breathes easier and has better pickup on acceleration when passing on the freeway and just overall sounds happy.

Give this a try if you haven't already.

Bill

You hate AFM so much you would rather lose a gear than have it on?

1 4.027

2 2.364

3 1.532

4 1.152

5 0.852

6 0.667

So now you have a 0.852 final gear. You must have 3.42 in the back too, because 3.73 would turn more RPM's than that.

The best advice I can give you is buy a used Diablo for 200 and disable the AFM.

Yes I have a 3.42 rear end. 3.73 is not available in a 6 speed. I'm just saying this is a way to disable the AFM without doing anything special. You make it sound like I'm really missing something by not using 6th gear. I don't know what that would be?

Yes I have a 3.42 rear end. 3.73 is not available in a 6 speed. I'm just saying this is a way to disable the AFM without doing anything special. You make it sound like I'm really missing something by not using 6th gear. I don't know what that would be?

I forgot there isn't a 3.73 option, but I just think it is weird someone would rather drive in a higher gear, run more RPM's to keep AFM off.

AFM saves me gas, yet you would rather burn more gas to keep it off. If you programmed it off, not only would you get better mpg by using your 6th gear, you would get a tune that runs more efficient. My two cents

NL,

In your first reply you recommended the Diablo. I'm considering getting a tuner and I actually looked at the DS at a distributor on Monday. But I see by your signature you have a Blackbear tune. Why did you choose that over the DS? I assume you've disabled AFM when you did the tune. And just FYI, I've not seen any change in mpg while driving this way. I would agree with you though it defies logic that higher rpm would not use more gas.

hmm.. my AFM works in Manual Mode, I can see it flipping from V4 to V8 regardless of whether I am in D or M5

works as low as 10 mph in stop and go traffic.. and I am getting 19.4 mpg in my 8,000 pound Avalanche, so I'll leave AFM alone @ $3.69 a Gallon over here.

NL,

In your first reply you recommended the Diablo. I'm considering getting a tuner and I actually looked at the DS at a distributor on Monday. But I see by your signature you have a Blackbear tune. Why did you choose that over the DS? I assume you've disabled AFM when you did the tune. And just FYI, I've not seen any change in mpg while driving this way. I would agree with you though it defies logic that higher rpm would not use more gas.

I recommended Diablo because it is the only programmer (I know of) that you can disable AFM. And you can get a used programmer much cheaper than you can get a custom tune.

I use to run Edge and I didn't care much for it. I would have got a Diablo but they never had transmission support and I still don't know if they do. But Diablo lets you tune more on the motor that Edge does. I run BlackBear now and it is the best that is out there. Makes the truck fun to drive and removes all of the pointless torque management. I left my AFM on and I run a 87 octane tune. I want gas mileage and no matter what the truck will drive better with the BlackBear so I don't see the point in running premium just for a little more timing added. AFM helps my truck out in the city and it stays on for long periods of time going 60 mph. So I will never turn it off. You will always have the AFM parts even if you tuned AFM on the computer off. No one has proved to me yet that it saves your motor when programmed off.

If you have the money get BlackBear and you program your truck exactly the way you want. Its the best money you can spend

Sorry about that, not sure how all those replies got added.

Nick,

What I was trying to say is yes you are correct. As long as you keep the gas to it, it never switches to 4 cyl.

NL,

See that is one thing I don't like about my AFM, it's in and out all the time. Very annoying. And it is noticeable when it switches. There needs to be a larger rpm difference or something tuned into it. I will investigate the Blackbear. And no, DS still does not support TCM. I'm with you, all for better mileage, especially with gas at $3+ and likely to go higher.

Thanks

With my 2007 Vmax I previously owned, It had the AFM feature. I did have a diablo and ran a mileage test with it enabled and disabled. Neither yielded more mileage. Some have claimed to have it turned off and saw an increase in mileage but for me, I saw no difference between the 2, so I permanently disabled it first with Diablosport tuner then later with a Custom tune from Blackbear. With that said, there is a programmer whos a member here as well as Diablo's forum (Lew) who can tweak/modify a tune for you to increase the amount of time the AFM stays activated and guys with the 5.3's are reporting some good mileage with the change.

Also, just to confirm, 3.73's are an option with the NHT max trailer package with the 6-speed transmission. I have it and LOVE it.

• 3 years later...

I have a 2011 Silverado and I been doing the same thing by putting it in 5th gear around town. I can't stand the way the amf works. Especially with dual exhaust you can really hear it go in and out of amf mode and it sounds horrible.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You can always get the Range V8 module you plug into your OBD port. No ECM changes of any kind. Just pull it off if you go to the dealer for something. Auto Anything usually gives a 10%-15% discount off of the posted price if you ask thru their chat feature. Granted it is a one trick pony compared to an ECM tune, but if disabling the AFM is your primary motivation, it is a simple, easy choice. And it is a lot easier to pull it off the OBD port than it is to restore stock tune before going to a dealer. Man, I do love the options we have to choose from.

Archived