wishybone2

Question

Ok Heres what I got

U1000 – Class 2 Data Link Malfunction

B0044 - Driver Frontal Deployment Loop Stage 2 Open

B0043 - Driver Frontal Deployment Loop Stage 2 Voltage Out of Range

B0026 - Driver Frontal Deployment Loop Stage 1 Open

-------------------------------------------------------

So I thing that its just a bad sensor. Is that safe to assume? If so where is this "driver frontal" sensor located. Is it the one that is located on the core/radiator support? I hear that its not hard to change just a 10mm wrench. Also, probably due to corrosion which stops the sensor from being grounded??? Any pics and tips would be great. Thanks in advance guys!

12 answers to this question

Hello I have a 1996 gmc Sierra with airbag codes boo34 dual pole arming sensor ignition feed open and code b0043 drivers source feed low. Where do I start looking for the problem I have checked fuses they are good.

OK so I pucnhed the steering wheel and got my controls to all work again :) .... no luck on the air bag problem tho... Look like I am going to have to take it to the dealer.... Unless someone has something else for me to try???? :M16:

Welp, turns out driving a lot seems to have dryed whatever water was shorting the circuit. Light and message is gone. But I still took it in the dealer.

EDIT: Connector on passenger side had issues. Fixed in no time on warranty. They could get a code even if the light/message was long gone since.

The driver frontal loops 1 and 2 are the loops to the steering wheel air bag. The SDM(sensing and diagnostic module for the air bag) is seeing these circuits as open. There is a bullitin for problems with a loose connection for the yellow connector behind the left kick panel(right behind the e brake and hood release). I would remove the kick panel, and disconnect and reconnect the connector a couple times. See if the light goes out. Or wiggle and move the connector with the key on, as the light should go out if it makes good connection. If it does go out you need to replace this connector. Good luck.

#05-09-41-001B: Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) Light ON, Diagnostic Trouble Codes (Inspect/Replace IP Harness to Inflatable Restraint Module (Air Bag) Yellow 4-Way Connector C221 and/or C222) - (Jun 2, 2008)

Subject:Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) Light ON, Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) B0013, B0014, B0017, B0018, B0024, B0026, B0043, B0044 (Inspect and/or Replace IP Harness to Inflatable Restraint Module (Air Bag) Yellow 4-Way Connector C221 and/or C222)

Models:2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic Only)

2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2003-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic Only)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 model year for pickups and change a part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-09-41-001A (Section 09 -- Restraints).

<A href="#ss1-2146754">

Condition

Some customers may comment that the Service Supplemental Inflatable Restraint Light is on.

Diagnosis with a scan tool may indicate a DTC B0013, B0014, B0017, B0018, B0024, B0026, B0043, B0044.

<A href="#ss2-2146754">

Cause

The most likely cause of any one of the following DTCs: B0013, B0014, B0017, B0018, B0024, B0026, B0043, B0044 is improper connection/high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint module connector C221 and/or C222.

<A href="#ss3-2146754">

Diagnostic Information

DTC B0013, B0014, B0017, B0018, B0024, B0026, B0043, B0044 will set when one of the following conditions occur:

• The SDM detects the air bag module deployment loop resistance is greater than 4.8 ohms for 500 milliseconds.

• The SDM detects that the voltage at the air bag module high control is less than 2.4 volts and deployment loop resistance is 6 ohms or greater for 500 milliseconds.

• For additional diagnostic information, refer to DTC B0013, B0014, B0017, B0018, B0024, B0026, B0043, B0044 in the appropriate SI Document.

<A href="#ss4-2146754">

Correction

DO THIS

Don't Do This

Test for proper connection/high resistance at connector C221 and/or C222.

DO NOT replace SIR system components prior to testing for proper connection/high resistance in C221 and/or for DTCs B0013, B0014, B0017, B0018, B0024, B0026, B0043, B0044.

Caution: When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zones. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

Important:

The IP harness to inflatable restraint module connectors C221 or C222 is NOT located at the base of the steering column.

C221 (4 Cavities) -- I/P Harness to Body Harness, behind the left kick panel

C222 (4 Cavities) (w/o HP2) -- I/P harness to body harness, behind the right kick panel

C222 (4 Cavities) (w/HP2) -- Behind the left side I/P access panel

Refer to the Master Electrical Component List for additional location information.

1. <LI type=1>Remove the appropriate side door sill plate. <LI type=1>Remove the appropriate side hinge pillar panel. <LI type=1>Locate the IP harness to inflatable restraint module yellow 4-way connector C221 or C222. <LI type=1>Inspect the IP harness to inflatable restraint module connector C221 or C222 for proper connection. <LI type=1>Disconnect and reconnect the IP harness to inflatable restraint module connector C221 or C222 THREE times. <LI type=1>Clear the DTC and road test the vehicle.

If DTCs B0013, B0014, B0017, B0018, B0024, B0026, B0043, B0044 DOES NOT reset, no additional repairs are necessary. Continue with step 10.

If DTCs B0013, B0014, B0017, B0018, B0024, B0026, B0043, B0044 DOES reset, the most likely cause is high resistance in the IP harness to inflatable restraint module connector C221 or C222. Continue with the next step.

<LI type=1>Replace the appropriate connector C221 and/or C222, P/N's 15306186 and 88987998. Refer to SIR/SRS Wiring Repairs (SI Document ID #325229). <LI type=1>Road test the vehicle and confirm that the repair is complete. <LI type=1>Install the driver's side hinge pillar panel.

Install the driver's side door sill plate.

<A href="#ss5-2146754">

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Connector (4-way Female, w/Leads)

Connector (4-way Male, w/Leads)

Thanks 8.1 - I realized that that I didnt include the make and model in my post. Its a 2004 1500 Sierra Crew Cab. But now that you posted that TSB I have a another problem that I would assume would be directly related to that. My information center controls were acting up only occasionally. My stereo controls were the same way. Right now my stereo controls work but the others dont. I figured that it may have something to do with the airbag warning taking away the functionality of the device so that I would get it checked sooner. Now it make more sense that that harness is the problem and its also effecting my controls. Thanks Again!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I did get the "service airbag" in the last 2 days. At night, the light comes on and during the day, light turns off. Air being a bit more wet at night time ? Anyways, my appointement at the dealership is scheduled for tuesday but I do have to do a 300 miles trip this weekend.

I can deal with certain parts of the system not deploying (OK it's risky) but I'm kinda afraid about the pretentionners or some airbags going off for no reason.

What are the possibility of this happening ?

(BTW, the recall for the piece of isolant that could cause a shortcircuit in that system).

OK... Just tried excersizing the connector.... No luck... I plugged it in and out like 10 times. No corosion in either end. They look great. Do you think it could have something to with the harness up to the steering wheel instead?

Got an 04 2500 with the same damn problem. D0024 & D0026, with the same problem with steering wheel controls not working. Punching steering wheel could work. The sound of this coil makes more sense. NOT sure really hopefully someone whil chime in about this coil???

Thanks 8.1 - I realized that that I didnt include the make and model in my post. Its a 2004 1500 Sierra Crew Cab. But now that you posted that TSB I have a another problem that I would assume would be directly related to that. My information center controls were acting up only occasionally. My stereo controls were the same way. Right now my stereo controls work but the others dont. I figured that it may have something to do with the airbag warning taking away the functionality of the device so that I would get it checked sooner. Now it make more sense that that harness is the problem and its also effecting my controls. Thanks Again!

Actually the fact that you have steering controlls issues along with this points away from that bulliten and that connector/harness. It points more toward the SIR coil as all of these things pass through that coil.

Actually the fact that you have steering controlls issues along with this points away from that bulliten and that connector/harness. It points more toward the SIR coil as all of these things pass through that coil.

Thanks Sparkstech... I was thinking about the coil as well but I dont really know what it does. I did try the connector on the passenger side as well. (worth a try) No luck. I also checked the SDM conections... they look great! The codes point to the area of the coil so maybe that is it?? What exactly does it do??

Archived