Adding Acetone To Increase Gas Mileage?

That scares me. I would need to see the video to see what it is claimed that acetone does to help improve economy, but I would not run acetone through my fuel system in any quantity. Especially in your vintage of truck with a fuel system that likely has some plastic components that could be harmed pretty quickly by it.

Without going into great depth, I can tell you that I have recently done some serious research into the effects of fuel vaporization on gas mileage. Let me just say that the benefits are nowhere near as good as they make them out to be. Bottom line is, increased fuel vaporization allows for the usage of leaner mixtures without misfire, but without tuning the car for it (just like higher octane fuel) you would realize no benefit.

• 3 weeks later...

To tin foil hat crowd, if this in fact did work, why would the manufacturers not push it through? They are fighting every year to meet the current CAFE requirements. If they could increase fuel mileage by simply adding acetone they would. Hell they would even add a tank just for it and inject it if need be. They spend millions trying to get half a mile per gallon more, and all they need to do is dump a 99 cent bottle of nail polish remover to get 10 miles to the gallon more.

the only way I could see this working is cooling the intake charge. Like alcohol injection on my grand national.

Once you cool the intake charge you can lean the fuel. So less fuel for same power = better mpg's

lol, I have a friend that did this for several years on a 1998 Ford Taurus and it pretty much dissolved the o-rings and rubber hoses on the fuel system.. it was a wonderful ball of fire when the injectors started spraying raw fuel all over the motor..

Archived