Canadian Sierras

Wraun

Hi Guys! New here and first post. I'm in the market for a good used truck and I am thinking about taking a drive up north to check out a 1995 Sierra 2500 with a 6.5TD and a 3 spd automatic with an OD. The only thing I'm concerned about is the strength of the trannys in those trucks. I have a 1996 Sierra 2500 right now but it has a manual transmission.

I will be doing quite a bit of towing this summer. I have a 24' travel trailer and intend to tour the province of BC for the entire summer. That means lots of hills.

I know the 6.5 is not the strongest diesel out there but I like it and i'm familiar with it. I am just concerned about the automatic transmission and would like to know which transmission this truck "likely" has. The current owner doesn't know the model.

Also, are there any common issues I need to be aware of with gm automatics? I used to have a Firebird that burned up a couple of automatic transmissions so I'm a little leary of them now.

That being said, I also used to have an 2006 Sierra with the Duramax/6 spd Allison and it was awesome.

Thanks

Ron

Hi Guys! New here and first post. I'm in the market for a good used truck and I am thinking about taking a drive up north to check out a 1995 Sierra 2500 with a 6.5TD and a 3 spd automatic with an OD. The only thing I'm concerned about is the strength of the trannys in those trucks. I have a 1996 Sierra 2500 right now but it has a manual transmission.

I will be doing quite a bit of towing this summer. I have a 24' travel trailer and intend to tour the province of BC for the entire summer. That means lots of hills.

I know the 6.5 is not the strongest diesel out there but I like it and i'm familiar with it. I am just concerned about the automatic transmission and would like to know which transmission this truck "likely" has. The current owner doesn't know the model.

Also, are there any common issues I need to be aware of with gm automatics? I used to have a Firebird that burned up a couple of automatic transmissions so I'm a little leary of them now.

That being said, I also used to have an 2006 Sierra with the Duramax/6 spd Allison and it was awesome.

Thanks

Ron

It will have the 4L80E transmission. As far as Ive heard its a decent tranny and with only a small 24' lightweight trailer you shouldnt have a problem at all. WHat does your trailer weigh???

It will have the 4L80E transmission. As far as Ive heard its a decent tranny and with only a small 24' lightweight trailer you shouldnt have a problem at all. WHat does your trailer weigh???

Hey thanks, GVWR on the sticker is 2858 kg. When we travel we're loaded to the max with a 100gal tank of veg oil in the box for fuel. I probably won't have that big of a tank in the new rig though but I'll likely be buying a 30 gal tank/tool box combo for the box and the truck has a matching canopy, oh and I have another 30gal tank that is going in now for dirty oil, along with a centrifuge/motor/pump and a vac pump. So ya, we'll be loaded down just as much. :cheers:

Hey thanks, GVWR on the sticker is 2858 kg. When we travel we're loaded to the max with a 100gal tank of veg oil in the box for fuel. I probably won't have that big of a tank in the new rig though but I'll likely be buying a 30 gal tank/tool box combo for the box and the truck has a matching canopy, oh and I have another 30gal tank that is going in now for dirty oil, along with a centrifuge/motor/pump and a vac pump. So ya, we'll be loaded down just as much. :cheers:

Youre gonna have somewhere near 7000Lbs of weight. Thats gonna be a lot of weight man, especially with a 6.5 at altitude. Ive gone through the mountains a lot, lving in Alberta, most of my summers are spent in BC. Ive never seen so many vehicles pulled over spewing steam/tranny fluid/oil as I did in the Okanagan Valley and the Coquihala hwy. You better get the cooling upgrade for the truck, a really big jesus tranny cooler and get that PMD relocation kit before you start hauling in BC during the summer. Also leaving as much weight as you can at home wouldnt be a bad idea, is the veg fluid that cheap??? I know nothing about bio diesel.

Youre gonna have somewhere near 7000Lbs of weight. Thats gonna be a lot of weight man, especially with a 6.5 at altitude. Ive gone through the mountains a lot, lving in Alberta, most of my summers are spent in BC. Ive never seen so many vehicles pulled over spewing steam/tranny fluid/oil as I did in the Okanagan Valley and the Coquihala hwy. You better get the cooling upgrade for the truck, a really big jesus tranny cooler and get that PMD relocation kit before you start hauling in BC during the summer. Also leaving as much weight as you can at home wouldnt be a bad idea, is the veg fluid that cheap??? I know nothing about bio diesel.

Oh ya, I know! :lol: I've spent my entire life in BC. Last Labour Day weekend we left PG fully loaded and fueled up and I rolled her across the gov't scale and scaled out at 12,000 lbs gross. We were headed for Osoyoos but we only had one really tough pull. Ashcroft to Logan Lake. It took a while and a lot of it was spent in 3rd gear at about 50kph but if that's what it takes, that's what you do. Like I said though, that was with a manual transmission. I'm not above hitting the hills early in the morning and/or travelling at night either. I'm a trucker, so I'm used to it.

And the veg oil isn't just cheap, it's free! :)

Most of the people that overheat are the idiots that go by you at 130Km/h with the A/C going. If youre a trucker, then ya, I should shut up, you know way more about this than I do. I cant wait to see what my new 6L will do through the mountains, first trip is gonna be to Radium :D Then maybe to Mara lake later on. Honestly though, Id do the cooling, PMD and tranny cooler upgrade.

Oh ya, I know! :lol: I've spent my entire life in BC. Last Labour Day weekend we left PG fully loaded and fueled up and I rolled her across the gov't scale and scaled out at 12,000 lbs gross. We were headed for Osoyoos but we only had one really tough pull. Ashcroft to Logan Lake. It took a while and a lot of it was spent in 3rd gear at about 50kph but if that's what it takes, that's what you do. Like I said though, that was with a manual transmission. I'm not above hitting the hills early in the morning and/or travelling at night either. I'm a trucker, so I'm used to it.

And the veg oil isn't just cheap, it's free! :)

Most of the people that overheat are the idiots that go by you at 130Km/h with the A/C going. If youre a trucker, then ya, I should shut up, you know way more about this than I do. I cant wait to see what my new 6L will do through the mountains, first trip is gonna be to Radium :cheers: Then maybe to Mara lake later on. Honestly though, Id do the cooling, PMD and tranny cooler upgrade.

Ya I see you have a 2006 2500HD. When I decided to experiment with the veg oil, I had one just like that. A crewcab, 4X4, with the 6.6 Duramax/6 spd Allison and I loved it. What an awesome truck and ya, pulling in the mountains is a breeze, you'll be laughing all the way up the hill and down the other side with that truck.

The last time the price of diesel went through the roof, I decided to buy this old project (paid $2000) and convert it over. I didn't want to tamper with the Dmax because it was still under warranty. After about 6 months of running veggie in this one, I sold the '06. I miss the truck but I sure don't miss the regular trips to the gas station.

Archived