What about the tire sensor with bigger tires?

BIGGBOB

I have a 2011 Silverado and I would like to change to a bigger tire like a 305/60/18 the stock size is 265/65/18 will this mess up my tire sensors? Also will going to bigger tires cause me to have computer codes to start showing up.

It won't hurt your tire pressure by going to that size tire. But you will need to program your computer for correct speedometer/mileage readings. It will also correct the shift points too. The new tire is about 1" larger than stock, so I don't see lights going off... but would be smart to re-program :thumbs:

And now that leads to another question... How do I reprogram the computer??

You've got a couple choices. Handheld tuner like Diablo or Superchips or Blackbear custom tune. Blackbear offers a handheld device called autocal so you can return your truck to stock programming for dealer trips :thumbs:

I used BlackBear for exactly what you need done, speed corrected. Dealer cannot change the speedo settings past minor tire changes. I bought the spare PCM from him, sent him my VIN, current gear set ratio, and tire size. I got a replacement PCM about 10 days later. I installed the replacement PCM, and spent the next half hour doing the security set thing. Once that was done, I roadtested it and saw the speedo was once again fairly accurate.

Blackbear had a tune clinic in my area about 2 months later, I went and had the rest of the tune done in person. He has the autotune now, you can get the tune done via emails.

Thanks for the info. This computer reprograming is all new to me. I like the old days when you could make changes with out the computer police catching me.

Yeah, I somewhat agree. I think the tire pressure sensors are the most ridiculous thing going on these new vehicles. I get the point of them but seriously they are a pain... :lol:

I messed with the pressure bleeding on resetting the pressure monitoring system until the last time when I changed tires and couldn't get it reset. The tire shop guy tried it too. No luck. Then he pulled his electronic reset device out (a magnet and some other stuff in it?) and reset it in seconds. I bought one off ebay the next week. No more bleeding air for me.

I will say I think the tire pressure monitor readout on the fly is the best gadget on my truck. I use it multiple times before and during a road trip. Although I've never had any pressure problems, I know it's allowing me to check tire pressure very often and could alert me to a problem before it occurs in an unfortunate location.

Archived