93 suburban 4x4 transmission problem

Hello everyone, im new to this forum and i was looking into joining a GM truck forum for a while now.

I am have an issue with my 93 suburban. I was driving on the high way the other day while in 4th gear (auto trans) then out of no were it went into to high reving and i was going no were . I pulled over and started driving again. Went into 1st and 2nd fine but would not shift into 3rd or even 4th.

I pulled into the next exit and parked it. I check the dipstick and it looked like some mud and rust. I ve heard different things like my trans lines are getting antifreeze in it, my 3rd gear and 4th gear clutches are worn and trans need to be rebuilt. Any advice?

Footnotes:

Trans wont go into 3rd and 4th

Trans dipstick looks like mud and rust

Thanks so much in advance.

Chuck

You're going to need a new trans or rebuilt anyhow. I suppose it is possible to get coolant in the trans from the cooler if there's something wrong with your radiator but I'd think you'd also be getting trans fluid in your coolant so you can check that, too. Since the trans operates at a much higher pressure than the cooling system, I would think that getting fluild in the coolant would be more prevalant but not sure. Most likely what's happened is you got moisture/water into the trans from the vent tube. Have you been through some deep water lately? Water is a killer for automatics. If you regularly go through deep water, put a vent line on the tube and route it up much higher with a check valve on it. After you rebuild the trans of course.

Thanks for your reply! No, no deep water. I was also told to replace the valve body, trans filter and gasket. Put some new fluid in it and do a flush on it. Im just stuck on what to do.

I think ill just get a reused trans. But should i replace the radiator as well?

a tranny is a good idea ,GMs rebuilt unit has a 3yr warranty and if the dealer puts it in they HAVE to flush the cooler and check and record the flow rate thru the cooler on the work order,

getting your rebuilt gets you a 1 yr warranty ,,

its a no brainer imo ,if you are keeping the truck

Archived