Helper Spring Help

ajcain79

When I tow my trailer the back end of my truck ever so slightly sags lower than the front. I believe it's because I put a 2" spacer lift on the front. I have my weight distributing hitch on it's max settings, but I can't get the truck level. My rig is very stable and I have no problems towing. I just want the back of my truck to be about an inch higher when I'm towing. I don't want to replace the blocks. I'd rather install a helper spring. I think a helper spring will solve my problem and save me some cash over doing an air bag install or even the Roadmaster Active Suspension. I haven't been able to find out much information on helper springs. I've been looking at Hellwig. I can get a 1000# set from them for less than $100. Is Hellwig a quality spring to use? Also, they seem like a pretty straight forward install. I'd like to know if there is anything I should watch out for.

Yes, Hellwig makes a great spring helper. I used a set of them on my s-10 when I was towing and they worked awesome. You want the progressive style, that way while driving "normal", you don't even know they are there. The more weight you put on the back, the more the springs help :thumbs: All you'd need is the 1/2 spring style and you can find those for around $30.

Well, I ended up ordering the Hellwig EZ-990 Model #987. It features a progressive spring rate, so it won't affect my daily ride. They are also adjustable, so I can fine tune them for my application. Here's a link if you want to check them out yourself. http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/load-control/ez-990/

I found them at Street Side Auto shipped for $94. Seemed like a good deal. I won't have my trailer hitched up until April. If I remember, I will post my findings after I tow with the new setup.

Let us know how it goes. I tow daily with my 1500 crew cab.pull a 2000 lb trailer with at least 2200 ppounds of tools in it plus what ever may be in the bed..be nice to see the truck sit level unless I'm haulin something super heavy.

When it says 2000lb Level Load capacity, does that mean that the bed will stay level with up to 2,000 lbs in the bed?

What is the difference between the EZ-990 and 1801 Step Bracket Style? They are both under the EZ-990.

What is the difference between the EZ-990 and the Pro-Series? They are both progessive rate helpers but the only thing I can tell that is different would be that the EZ has a level capacity of 2,000 lbs and the Pro-series is 2,500 lbs. Any other differences other than price?

My truck sits level at the moment but sags when I tow or haul something and I'd like it to sit level when I tow.

I've been looking through and still kinda confused on which ones will fit my truck though.

When it says 2000lb Level Load capacity, does that mean that the bed will stay level with up to 2,000 lbs in the bed?

What is the difference between the EZ-990 and 1801 Step Bracket Style? They are both under the EZ-990.

What is the difference between the EZ-990 and the Pro-Series? They are both progessive rate helpers but the only thing I can tell that is different would be that the EZ has a level capacity of 2,000 lbs and the Pro-series is 2,500 lbs. Any other differences other than price?

My truck sits level at the moment but sags when I tow or haul something and I'd like it to sit level when I tow.

I've been looking through and still kinda confused on which ones will fit my truck though.

Yeah... I have no answers to your questions, but I called Hellwig before purchasing and they were very helpful with my questions. I recommend calling them with your questions.

Sent from my VZW 4G LTE GNX using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Have you installed these yet? Did the end up raising the rear of your truck any?

I tried installing a set on my old S-10 and it raised the rear of my truck 2-3" so I ended up not using them. I read in another forum that some of the kits will actually lift the rear of the truck some.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you installed these yet? Did the end up raising the rear of your truck any?

I tried installing a set on my old S-10 and it raised the rear of my truck 2-3" so I ended up not using them. I read in another forum that some of the kits will actually lift the rear of the truck some.

Not installed yet. Maybe a week or two still before I have time.

Not installed yet. Maybe a week or two still before I have time.

Nevermind. I just traded the truck for a new 2500HD. I never got around to installing the springs, so I need to check into returning them. Or if someone wants to come pick them up in the Indianapolis area feel free to PM me with an offer. I paid $94.

Archived