Bluetooth Volume on OGM1

Yesterday I started having trouble with the ogm1 deck with regards to the volume of the call on the receiving end. They other party could hear me just fine, I could barely hear them. I tried turning up the deck volume. This did not help out a whole lot as I had it cranked up to 50 before it sounded decent and then I experienced a lot of white noise from the speakers from the high volume. Is there a hidden menu that controls the Bluetooth out volume that I am not aware of?

Yesterday I started having trouble with the ogm1 deck with regards to the volume of the call on the receiving end. They other party could hear me just fine, I could barely hear them. I tried turning up the deck volume. This did not help out a whole lot as I had it cranked up to 50 before it sounded decent and then I experienced a lot of white noise from the speakers from the high volume. Is there a hidden menu that controls the Bluetooth out volume that I am not aware of?

There's only master volume control from the phone AFAIK.

What we do when these things crop up is to back up a little bit to make certain that everything on both ends of the Bluetooth connection is good before we spend too much time troubleshooting:

• Try pairing to the factory Bluetooth (if you have it) and try your call again

• If it works OK on the factory Bluetooth, un-pair the phone from the OGM1 and the OGM1 from the phone.

• Remove the battery from the phone (or on iPhone, hard reboot, ESPECIALLY if you did the iOS 5.1 update)

• Re-pair the phone to the OGM1 and try your call.

Keep in mind that Bluetooth is usually one of the biggest pains in our butt due to the massive number of phone/deck combinations possible, and the relative amount of development that any phone manufacturer put into the Bluetooth section of their phone. Also keep in mind that your phone comes into "contact" with hundreds, if not thousands of other possible Bluetooth connections every day, and we're counting on the phone to handle every one of them perfectly so that when you get back into your truck, it re-syncs to your OGM-1 without issues...

For instance, I once bought a Casio "GZone Boulder" for my installers - WORST PHONE EVER for Bluetooth - NOTHING recognized it and worked with it! It taught us that the phone does indeed make a HUGE difference in how Bluetooth works in the car, especially when you're dealing with limited production or brand-new phones. I also just had a customer who swore to me that he had just rebooted his phone and that re-pairing it COULDN'T make any difference with his problem - I asked him to humor me and try it - it fixed the issue.

Moral of the story is that for the two minutes it takes to re-do everything, it will save you tons of time trying to diagnose something that we have no tools to diagnose...

There's only master volume control from the phone AFAIK.

What we do when these things crop up is to back up a little bit to make certain that everything on both ends of the Bluetooth connection is good before we spend too much time troubleshooting:

• Try pairing to the factory Bluetooth (if you have it) and try your call again

• If it works OK on the factory Bluetooth, un-pair the phone from the OGM1 and the OGM1 from the phone.

• Remove the battery from the phone (or on iPhone, hard reboot, ESPECIALLY if you did the iOS 5.1 update)

• Re-pair the phone to the OGM1 and try your call.

Keep in mind that Bluetooth is usually one of the biggest pains in our butt due to the massive number of phone/deck combinations possible, and the relative amount of development that any phone manufacturer put into the Bluetooth section of their phone. Also keep in mind that your phone comes into "contact" with hundreds, if not thousands of other possible Bluetooth connections every day, and we're counting on the phone to handle every one of them perfectly so that when you get back into your truck, it re-syncs to your OGM-1 without issues...

For instance, I once bought a Casio "GZone Boulder" for my installers - WORST PHONE EVER for Bluetooth - NOTHING recognized it and worked with it! It taught us that the phone does indeed make a HUGE difference in how Bluetooth works in the car, especially when you're dealing with limited production or brand-new phones. I also just had a customer who swore to me that he had just rebooted his phone and that re-pairing it COULDN'T make any difference with his problem - I asked him to humor me and try it - it fixed the issue.

Moral of the story is that for the two minutes it takes to re-do everything, it will save you tons of time trying to diagnose something that we have no tools to diagnose...

I see your point. Thanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived