Question on 12 volt connection for 7 pin trailer plug

Looking to add LED bed lights to my truck. Ive done the research and pretty much set to go on all aspects of the project. Except this. I see the red wire with black stripe underneath the brake cylinder in the engine compartment that needs to connect to stud 1 @ the fuse box in the engine compartment. However, I also see that same wire (or very similar red with black stripe) coming out of the wire loom just before the loom goes under and into the fuse box. So to clarify, it is between the fuse box and driver side front fender and left in a similar state as the wire underneath brake cylinder . Everything I have read up to this point indicates that the wire under the brake cylinder is the one I want to connect to stud #1. Does anyone know what this similar wire is that sits between the fuse box and driver side front fender? Do I need to connect both to stud #1?

Thanks in advance

The wire taped to the bundle under the brake booster runs 12v back to the trailer wiring connector after you connect it to stud #1 and add a fuse. The wire over between the fender and battery box is for power to the electric brakes if you have that set-up.

The wire taped to the bundle under the brake booster runs 12v back to the trailer wiring connector after you connect it to stud #1 and add a fuse. The wire over between the fender and battery box is for power to the electric brakes if you have that set-up.

roger that. Thanks!

The rings on the end of those wires will determine what stud they go on, the studs are different sizes. The 12V for the 7 pin trailer supply requires a 40amp fuse to be purchased at the dealer (or parts store) and installed before it will supply power to the rear 7pin. the smaller Brake supply wire is already fused and supplies 12volt direct to your brake controller (wire bundle under dash including ground, accessory and brake switch wiring)

Archived