1/2 ton and a 7000# trailer?

uchi

im just reading a few pages in to this section about towing and weight and i think im pretty much maxed out or maybe just a bit over with this. im going to deals gap with some friends at the end of august, a friend of mine has a 24 foot enclosed car trailer and has said i can use it to go on our 13 hour each way drive to keep the bikes dry and secure. anyways, ive got a 2009 sierra crew cab regular box with a 5.3, 6 speed and towing package. ive gotta confirm the weight still but he says hes pretty sure its about 7000 pounds, not sure of the tongue weight. ive got a brake controller as well on her, can i safely tow this much weight or should i start looking for another option? also last time i ran the vin i believe it showed my truck as having 3.73 gears. all 4 fours with our gear will add about 1300 pounds to the total weight. this guy tows this thing with his race car in it behind his escalade. 7000 pounds seems high to me for an enclosed 24 foot trailer but what the hell do i know.

thats what i was thinking to, im going to check it out tomorrow and to see what weight it stamped on it. unless its an old ass all steel unit i thought 7000 was high, maybe 7000 is the max it can handle? any tips for reading the stamp on the frame to know what to look for? if its 3000 im laughing.

also if we end up using this monster, would i be safe to assume that i should load as much weight over the trailers axles as possible? ive towed cars on floats in the past but never anything quite this long

also if we end up using this monster, would i be safe to assume that i should load as much weight over the trailers axles as possible? ive towed cars on floats in the past but never anything quite this long

10-15% of the total trailer weight should be on the tongue for a bumper pull trailer.

10-15% of the total trailer weight should be on the tongue for a bumper pull trailer.

is that the ideal way to load it or is that what weight should naturally be there assuming the trailer wheels are placed in the right spot?

is that the ideal way to load it or is that what weight should naturally be there assuming the trailer wheels are placed in the right spot?

Yes, and yes, assuming the trailer is being used for what it was intended. However, weighing it is very easy and cheap. I even took the time to unhook my trailer at the scale to weigh the tongue. There were no trucks waiting.

If this is a regular trip for you, an Equalizer (brand) hitch or a Reese Dual Cam hitch are excellent choices that will distribute weight and give you some anti sway properties.

thanks guys, i checked this beast out today, we looked at the stamp and shes a hallmark thats about 3600 pounds or so empty, tandem axle on it as well. he had his drag car in there and had it attached to his suv, older gen yukon denali and no air bag or helper springs or anything in the back, and it squatted the rear of his truck maybe 3 inches total. i thought the trailer was empty when i rolled up and didnt realize a fully caged regal was sitting in it. from the looks of it my 09 wont have an issue towing this thing one bit, im just worried about it being overkill, we're only taking 4 bikes and this thing can hold 12 easily with all the gear and the kitchen sink

trailer is 3600 ish empty, gross weight was stamped at 7200.

real quick, ive got the 17 inch wheels with the off road tires that gm put on the truck, door says 35 psi of air pressure, with this thing behind me should i air up a bit more?

Archived