Desperate, need help finding E-clip for two piece auto shift cable

pistonslap

Question

I recently had to replace the shift cable (transmission end) on a 2000 Silverado 1500 4X4 automatic. The cable is two piece and is joined with a odd shaped copper E-clip. When I went to install it I broke the E-Clip. So i went down to the GM dealer to get another one or three. I spent over thirty minutes with the parts department trying to locate a part number to no avail. They said they would sell me a cable for $ 250.00. I even talked to a young mechanic ,who didn't have a clue what I was talking about ! Surely I can't be the only one who has broke one.Hell even my manual says to replace the E-Clip when you have to pull the cables apart. I also tried a parts jobber with no luck. Does anyone here have a idea where I could get one ? Or better yet does anyone know if a C-clip would work ? It is a different shape than the E-clip and is thicker too. This is really pixxing me off ,to be down over a tow or three dollar part. Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Thanks people. doug -scot, excellent lead ! Its unbelievable how cheap the prices are compared to what chev or a parts jobber charge for the little things! As far as auto wreckers,I don't think they would just sell me a clip. Unfortunately I live in the sticks a long ways away from a wrecker, so I guess I will try modifying a regular C- clip for now.

Archived