2008 - 2010 LMM or 2011 LML

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new truck. I would appreciate your experiences and answers.

1. I can afford a used 2008 - 2010 LMM now. Should I wait until 2013 when I can afford a used 2011 LML?

2. What is the actual mpg you are seeing unloaded? city / hwy?

3. What is the largest tire size that fill fit without a lift? I think GM trucks look better when the tire fills as much of the damn square fender well as possible.

4. Has anyone owned both the LMM and LML? I am aware that they changed the frame, and tweaked the engine in the LML but is the truck as a whole 5k better?

5. I keep hearing that the new emmisions controls on these trucks (and Ford, Dodge) will lead to early failure of the engine. This is supposedly due to the diesel not being able to breathe, etc. Thoughts?

6. I'm not really towing anything but I have a snowmobile and 2 dirt bikes. I like that you can get a crew cab AND standard bed on the 2500. Plus a used 1500 with 6.2 costs only a few thousands less than a used Duramax 6.6

7. Are you happy with your 2500 Duramax or wish you had a gasser?

Ouch! Talk about opening up a can of worms! Pretty much everyone knows my thoughts on the new emissions diesels, and I did a lot of research before I bought my gasser, so I can say without a doubt for your situation the 6.0 would be a better truck for you. But if you just "want" the diesel then I'll just leave that subject alone and let others answer your questions on it.

On the other topics, the frame, and truck as a whole are way more stout on the 2011-up HD's.

As for tires, look in my gallery, for my 2012 has 34" BFG's with no lift and no rubbing!

Ouch! Talk about opening up a can of worms! Pretty much everyone knows my thoughts on the new emissions diesels, and I did a lot of research before I bought my gasser, so I can say without a doubt for your situation the 6.0 would be a better truck for you. But if you just "want" the diesel then I'll just leave that subject alone and let others answer your questions on it.

On the other topics, the frame, and truck as a whole are way more stout on the 2011-up HD's.

As for tires, look in my gallery, for my 2012 has 34" BFG's with no lift and no rubbing!

Hey HemiCat, lol I can tell you were really holding back there on your diesel thoughts :-)

Did you notice a mpg drop with the bigger tires? BTW, thats great to hear 34"s fit with no suspension adjustments and they look damn nice. Is there a way to adjust the speedometer after putting the larger tires on? Besides buying a expensive tuner? Looks like that is the absolute largest tire that will fit! Close in the front. It appears that the larger tires helped level out the truck? All the factory trucks I see appear to have a huge "rake"

Any idea if the diesels have stiffer suspension than the gas 2500s? Maybe stiffer front springs?

Lol, yeah if you are already decided on the diesel then I won't argue- a guy wants what he wants!

I put the big tires on right away so I didn't notice any change in MPG's from stock, but the tires are 3.2% taller and I have to hand calculate my mileage now, I've seen a 17.2 as the highest so far.

Not sure if the dealer can reset your speedo or not, I just use the GPS!

The diesel I believe have 600lb. heavier front springs for the weight, I think the diesel springs are the same as the gas with the plow pkg.

No regets getting the 2500! I like the longer bed too, and the truck is just so stout. You can tell GM built it for the diesel and stupid heavy trailer weights. With the light 6.0 and my light trailers this thing should be very durable over time and still be worth something in 10 years.

the lmls are blocked off from tuning completely. If you tune the lml it will know it and you lose warranty so it's all or nothing. However I you choose to leave it stock the lml is the better choice IMO, better mileage, stiffer frame, better brakes. Once ur warranty is up you can take the piss tank off...if you decide to run 34" tires prepare for you mileage to go down and a little rubbing. Mine rubs with 35s and 6" lift...

I owned a 6 litre for 4 years as well. All in all I was happy with everything but the gas mileage and power. But I had a 4 speed. The best mileage I ever seen was 14 mpg on the highway, city driving it got 9-10. The new ones are probly better tho. New ones I know have more power, But you will never match the power of a diesel. Especially one that's been EFI'd...

All in all the only thing it comes down too is how much money you are willing to fork out for initial cost. Duramax is just a little more expensive initially and to maintain. But if maintained properly will out live the gasser almost twice over.

If it was me I would look for a low mile LBZ or LMM, much better platform to build a street rocket from. But that's just me, I like going fast.

Archived