Steering wheel airbag removal 2001 Silverado

Can someone post up the procedure to pulling the airbag? I have a new steering wheel on the way, I figure pulling the battery cables first and then letting the truck sit for 5 minutes is given. What is the process to get the stock bag out?

I pulled mine out and changed the steering wheel. I let it sit for an hr after disconnecting the battery. I also set it bag up just in case it went off that way it wouldn't fly

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I was going to say, there are no holes in the back to put allen wrenches into to push the airbag out. I checked it out this morning.

The small hex key removal way is used on 2003 and up (and those are small holes on both sides of the wheel cover). Early GMT800's (99-02) used a small screw driver in the back of the wheel to pop the levers.

Turn the wheel 90 deg so the rear of the cover is exposed above the column. Put a small screw driver in and carefully "pop" the levers on both sides of the wheel. Once you have the levers disengaged, carefully take it off its mount. Then using a small flathead screwdriver, pop the safety lock on the wire and then carefully remove the plug. DO NOT HOLD THE MODULE BY THE WIRES. As said prior, place the module so the front is facing up (the chevy/gmc logo) in a spot thats not going to be in the way (if it blows while out, this should keep it from becoming a missile).

Then replace your steering wheel with the one you want. Installation is reversed. Plug the module wire back in, put the safety catch back on and then just push the module back into the wheel until you hear it click.

Its not hard, just have to remember to follow the safety requirements. Changed these daily building conversion vehicles.

Oh make sure to put the seat all the way back before removing the module, JIC.

These do sound like a shotgun going off when activated. One of my old coworkers used to bring the unused modules (which they just tossed anyways sicne thy were never to be used on street vehicles again) from his part time job so we could detonate them in garbage cans at work. Had a cop show up once. :crackup:

Archived