Tonneau "Residue" on Paint?

I had my tonneau rolled up for about a month and it was making contact with the paint on the cab (bad idea, I know). Now there are some black marks that it left behind, and they won't wash or clay bar off. It's almost as though it is part of the paint; it's not rough or noticeable when rubbing my hand across it. Does anyone know what this is, and if there is something that will remove it?

post-20843-0-22826200-1355239706_thumb.jpg

Would you be willing to try a bug & tar remover type product on it? Not sure what else to suggest.

Agree, try some bug and tar remover.

Is it smooth to the touch like the paint around it, not raised above the paint? I'm guessing yes if the clay bar isn't working.

Would you be willing to try a bug & tar remover type product on it? Not sure what else to suggest.

Agree, try some bug and tar remover.

Is it smooth to the touch like the paint around it, not raised above the paint? I'm guessing yes if the clay bar isn't working.

Thanks for the idea, guys!

Sadly, I tried the bug & tar remover and it did nothing. :mad:

It is smooth, but just slightly noticeable. It's almost as though it's part of the paint but it definitely wasn't there before I had the tonneau rolled up for an extended period.

Is there some method that a detailing shop has for getting rid of this sort of thing without getting rid of clearcoat/paint?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived