Getting some squeal from Hawk LTS pads and Slotted rotors

Two weeks ago I put on some Hawk LTS pads and powerslot slotted rotors. I did the bed-in processed that Hawk recommends but now I am getting some squeal. It seems to start at about 20 mph but I can't tell when it goes away at higher speeds because of the other road noise.

I greased everything and used the CRC Brake quiet on the back of the pads and now it is squeaking. For the first few days I had them on they were quiet. I think it is only the driver's side because I can't hear anything from the passenger side.

I'm going to redo the brakes tonight and regrease everything with some Silaramic that I picked up last night. It says it's good for all moving and metal-to-metal contact points so I'll give it a try. I thought about even lightly sanding the rotors too.

When I re-bed them, do I need to make harder stops from higher speeds since I've already done the bed-in once before?

Any other suggestions?

I can't remember if I remembered to grease the slide pins the first time. Could that be the reason for the squealing while driving?

So last night I took everything back apart and regreased everything and make sure the pads and rotors were clean. I used Silaramic this time and also re-bedded the brakes.

I am still getting the squeal at about 10-15 mph and it does not go away. When I stop it tracks straight and true and there is no vibration and I don't think that it's a caliper sticking. It's not super loud but it's there.

Any other suggestions? Can I spray brake cleaner on the face of the pads to make sure they are clean? if not, is there something that I can.

I have contacted both Hawk and Autoanything to see what they can do.

Do your rotors have a mirror polish on them? It they do, scuff with a sanding block or a emery disc to take the polish off and rebed them.

Yeah take some fine grit sandpaper to the rotors and scuff them up. Slotted rotors are sometimes noisy but its more of a brushing sound then a squeal. Did the new pads come with shims for the back of them? Try putting the old shims on the new pads and see if it still squeals.

• 4 weeks later...

I use the fine stuff, usually somewhere in the 150 - 200 grit range. Scuff them in a circular motion. Try scuffing up the pads a bit as well, it may help get rid of your squeal problem.

Garnet paper would probably be a good idea, since you have a pre existing squeal that you don't want to make worse.. I've never had any problems with regular paper though.

Archived