Regearing from 342 to 410

I have an 05 silverado crew cab 4x4 with the 5.3 v8. I want to put 33" tires on it but running stockers now 265/70/17 I bought the truck used and my abs light/break light lit up right away when in drive, took it to a local shop and they hooked up the machine and said the rear end was going 10 mph fast then the front. They than took the rear cover off and confirmed that there waas in fact 410 gears back there. So they suggested putting stock gears back in the rear end, which with the vin from dealer was 342, for the lights to go away. I then had an issue with my transfer case and 2 wheel drive stopped working. Took it to a local trans/gear shop and they looked at it and ended up rebuilding transfer case and went ahead and changed to stock gears in the rear 342's. thinking everything was in working order i went to use 4wheel drive and everything was bound up, i immediatly put it back in 2 wheel and went back to shop. They then took of front diff and come to find out 410's in there as well. now my current situation is going to 342's in front or 410's.....it seemed that before all these issues i was getting better gas milage with the 410's than now with the 342's. If i do go with the 410's do I need to retune the truck for the abs'break light to go away ? I know this is very long but all advice is greatly appreciated.....

Reason for the better mileage was because I bet who ever put the gears in never had the ECM customer flashed for the gears. I would go the way that gets you back up and running the cheapest, I would think that going 3.42 in the front would get the ECM back in line with the stock programming. Easiest way to find out if the speedometer is on the spot is to get on the highway. Set the cruise on a flat road to 60mph. Time yourself from one mile marker to the next, if you get to the next milemarker faster/slower than 60 seconds then your speedo calibration is off.

Other way is if you have a android smart phone download "GPS Status", then turn on the GPS on your phone and launch the program, it has a speed function in it as well once it locks on your GPS position.

The shops you have dealt with are idiots....... honestly. Why would they not check the front of the truck...... I mean there are some dumb people out there but most regear both not just one? Do they not realize the abs for the rear looks at the driveshaft and the front is just the hub bearings.......Put the 4.10's back in the rear diff and just have the pcm updated for the gear swap. Since it's an oem ratio and you don't want a proper aftermarket tune GM can even update it for you....... Yes all your lights will go away.

Now since these guys are this smart thus far you might just have a bad speed sensor. Is you speedometer accurate with 3.42 or was it accurate with 4.10?

The shops you have dealt with are idiots....... honestly. Why would they not check the front of the truck...... I mean there are some dumb people out there but most regear both not just one? Do they not realize the abs for the rear looks at the driveshaft and the front is just the hub bearings.......Put the 4.10's back in the rear diff and just have the pcm updated for the gear swap. Since it's an oem ratio and you don't want a proper aftermarket tune GM can even update it for you....... Yes all your lights will go away.

Now since these guys are this smart thus far you might just have a bad speed sensor. Is you speedometer accurate with 3.42 or was it accurate with 4.10?

yes... with the 3.42 gear in the rear my truck does go the proper speed and brake/abs lights went away, with the 4.10 gear it went 10 mph faster and brake/abs lights came on.

yes... with the 3.42 gear in the rear my truck does go the proper speed and brake/abs lights went away, with the 4.10 gear it went 10 mph faster and brake/abs lights came on.

Tune it. Problem solved. Or reinstall other lame duck set of 3.42s and also solve the issue.

Archived