Trans pan drop, torx bolts stripped 2002

Doing my Trans filter change on my '02. Using this site as an aid. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179148

Most thing went well until I needed too remove the shifter bracket. Can't remove the torx bolts do to the 4x4 driveshaft in the way but not giving way.

I'm now near the point to use oxy/acect... on the bracket to twist it out of way.

Anyone got opinions/options before I go too the heat?

How do people do it?

It's my main transport, I don't want to Oxy it yet but I will do it if needed. Heat shield dropped/dirt & stones in the loose/open pan, So no option but to drop the pan.

It's getting a bit stupid. Do to this shifter placement.

How do people do it?

It's my main transport, I don't want to Oxy it yet but I will do it if needed. Heat shield dropped/dirt & stones in the loose/open pan, So no option but to drop the pan.

It's getting a bit stupid. Do to this shifter placement.

not you ,in general i mean ,people dont see to move the bracket ,they take it off ,,,,all good

I replaced mine years ago with allen bit cap screws. I think they are 8x1.25x30 (dont hold me to the size but i think that was what they were). They are a pain, It makes really easy to take the pan off dude. With out the bracket in the way it will just about fall off after the bolts are out.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bringing this back up because on 2wd trucks I ran into the same problem. The torx head stripped out on me. You cannot swivel the bracket out of the way as it has two holding it in. I honestly cannot remember though if it could be easily bent or not, but I'm thinking if it was, I would have done it. I finally gave up and sealed the pan back up. Wound up adding like 2 new quarts as that is all that would drain out of the pan.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived